network interruption after debian network restart

Dec 27, 2021
I have proxmox version 7.1.8. I'm having a problem with the proxmox host ie debian. I have created a subnet within Proxmox. this subnet is 10.10.10.0/24. and it is connected to the main network as a bridge. When I enter the service networking restart command on Debian, the subnet is completely gone. In order for it to come back, I need to mark the firewall of the ethernet card from the hardware part of the machine, save it and remove it again. and I need to do this for all machines. Why is the subnet being cut off and manual action required?

you are not supposed to ever restart the 'networking' service - it will always disconnect bridges, interrupt connections, etc.pp.. PVE 7.x uses ifupdown2 which supports hot-reloading, use that to reconfigure your network at run-time.

you are not supposed to ever restart the 'networking' service - it will always disconnect bridges, interrupt connections, etc.pp.. PVE 7.x uses ifupdown2 which supports hot-reloading, use that to reconfigure your network at run-time.

Can you send me the restart command? because there is no direct ifupdown2 command. I will reload the config file without network down can you tell me the command directly?

ifreload - but it's exposed on the PVE GUI, so I'd use that ;)

ifreload - but it's exposed on the PVE GUI, so I'd use that ;)

so I guess I should use ifreload -c in this case. but this command ends with error as below. What could be the reason? The place specified as xx is my gateway ip address.

Code:
warning: netlink: enp4s0: cannot delete address xxx.xxx.xxx.xx/32 dev enp4s0: operation failed with 'Cannot assign requested address' (99)

can't tell you that without more information about your system

can't tell you that without more information about your system

What details do you want I can send you?

I am running in debug mode by entering ifreload -c -d. I got something like the following. Why is it trying to change my main IP address to my gateway IP address?

Code:
info: enp4s0: primary ip changed (from main-ip/26 to gateway-ip/32) we need to purge all ip addresses and re-add them

information like how your current network setup looks like (links, addresses, routes mainly -> how it looks like at the moment), and what the config file contains (-> which config you want to switch to)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!