Nested Hyper-V (Windows 10) with KVM?

Hmm, not solved. Just tried running a nested VM again, and after like 5 minutes it's slow again. At this point I don't know if it's my server or something else. Now it have the flags that I wanted, and the CPU type that worked great before. But still, it's slow again.

*Scratching my head*

It looks like its a Win driver issue with kvm64 and vmx. Windows guest OS crashes once I add the vmx flag to cpu args. It wont even boot into the OS installer. On the other hand Linux handles it fine.

But again either it is your disks preforming slowly or something else going on that I can not reproduce. You also said cpu host was necessary where I again am not able to reproduce that. Maybe you need to delete the save state on the HyperV VM before resuming the VM with Broadwell settings?

vmx is the flags needed for nested virtualization.

args: -cpu kvm64,vmx=on

This does report vmx flags once added (and absent without that argument in conf) but you may need to install Win10 from scratch with that CPU change. My VM wanted to boot loop and repair with that CPU change.

But the Broadwell changes I suggested should also have worked. My VM starts HyperV VM and Task Manager reports virtualization support:
If you can test kvm64,vmx=on (possibly from new install if needed) of course that seems to be the answer you wanted... im just not sure why Broadwell didn't work when it aught to have.
View attachment 54073
hi sir, I have config follow this but my VM dont start Task Manager reports virtualization support. I try to add command args: -cpu kvm64,vmx=on with cpu: kvm64, bui i see boot loop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 13.41.41.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 13.41.41.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 13.42.09.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 13.42.09.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 25

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!