[SOLVED] NEED HELP to setup gpu passthrough/iommu/AMD 6500XT for gaming/f@h INTEL Alder Lake

Redicat

May 22, 2021
Hello i NEED HELP to setup gpu passthrough/iommu/AMD 6500XT for Gaming/Folding@Home INTEL Alder Lake i am a big noob i want to install AMD gpu drivers in a Windows 11 PRO VM in Eufi specs are AMD 6500XT/Intel 12600KF so i DONT have IGPU. proxmox running native on AMD 6500XT.

Thanks for the help in advance!

RUNNING PROXMOX VE 7.1

Last edited:
Reactions: nick.kopas
Hmmm... When you boot Proxmomx, does it look this?
boot-grub.png

Or does it look like this?
boot-systemdboot.png

Last edited:
@nick.kopas I did nearly everything but it failed to start the VM

Task viewer: VM 100 - Start

OutputStatus

Stop
swtpm_setup: Not overwriting existing state file.
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:03:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0.0,multifunction=on: Failed to mmap 0000:03:00.0 BAR 0. Performance may be slow
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:03:00.0,id=hostpci1.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-2,addr=0x0.0,multifunction=on: vfio 0000:03:00.0: device is already attached
stopping swtpm instance (pid 1249) due to QEMU startup error
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

Fist off, let's get some updates installed and pin a functional kernel:
Code:
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
echo "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-subscription.list
apt-get update
apt-get install -y pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve
proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 5.13.19-6-pve
apt-get dist-upgrade -y
shutdown -r now

NOTE: If it asks you any questions during this process... always answering yes should be fine.

Some things to check:
  • Change this line in /etc/default/grub to match what I have below:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt video=efifb:off video=simplefb:off video=vesafb:off"
  • Make sure VT and VT-d are enable in host BIOS.
  • Make sure Resizable BAR is disabled in BIOS. (Can cause problems.)
Then send me screenshots of the "Hardware" and "Options" settings for your VM.

Last edited:
Reactions: holucan
Fist off, let's get some updates installed and pin a functional kernel:
Code:
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
echo "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-subscription.list
apt-get update
apt-get install -y pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve
proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 5.13.19-6-pve
apt-get dist-upgrade -y
shutdown -r now

NOTE: If it asks you any questions during this process... always answering yes should be fine.

Some things to check:
  • Change this line in /etc/default/grub to match what I have below:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt video=efifb:off video=simplefb:off video=vesafb:off"
  • Make sure VT and VT-d are enable in host BIOS.
  • Make sure Resizable BAR is disabled in BIOS. (Can cause problems.)
Then send me screenshots of the "Hardware" and "Options" settings for your VM.
Done,

Screenshot (103).pngScreenshot (105).png

Couple changes to Hardware:
Edit Memory, uncheck Ballooning Device.
You only need to add the primary GPU as a PCI device, remove the Audio.

How's it doing now?

Dump the output of these commands to text:
Code:
echo "###grub###########################" && cat /etc/default/grub
echo "###modules########################" && cat /etc/modules
echo "###iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf###" && cat /etc/modprobe.d/iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf
echo "###kvm.conf#######################" && cat /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf
echo "###blacklist.conf#################" && cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo "###vfio.conf######################" && cat /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf
echo "###100.conf#######################" && cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf

Dump the output of these commands to text:
Code:
echo "###grub###########################" && cat /etc/default/grub
echo "###modules########################" && cat /etc/modules
echo "###iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf###" && cat /etc/modprobe.d/iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf
echo "###kvm.conf#######################" && cat /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf
echo "###blacklist.conf#################" && cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo "###vfio.conf######################" && cat /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf
echo "###100.conf#######################" && cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
###grub########################### # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update # /boot/grub/grub.cfg. # For full documentation of the options in this file, see: # info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration' GRUB_DEFAULT=0 GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian` #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off,efifb:off" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt video=efifb:off video=simplefb:off video=vesafb:off" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" # Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...) #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef" # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only) GRUB_TERMINAL=console # The resolution used on graphical terminal # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo' #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 # Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true # Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true" # Uncomment to get a beep at grub start #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1" ###modules######################## # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time. # # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored. vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd ###iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf### options vfio_iommu_type1 allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 ###kvm.conf####################### options kvm ignore_msrs=1 ###blacklist.conf################# blacklist radeon blacklist nouveau blacklist nvidia ###vfio.conf###################### options vfio-pci ids=1002:743f,1002:ab28 disable_vga=1 ###100.conf####################### agent: 1,type=virtio args: -cpu 'host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off' balloon: 8000 bios: ovmf boot: order=scsi2;net0;scsi1;sata2;sata1 cores: 15 cpu: kvm64 cpulimit: 15 efidisk0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=528K hostpci0: 0000:03:00,pcie=1 localtime: 1 machine: pc-q35-6.1 memory: 14500 meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1655308909 name: Windows11PRO-SERVER-GAMING-F net0: virtio=46:A6:94:B1:D7:3C,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1 numa: 0 ostype: win11 sata1: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.215.iso,media=cdrom,size=528322K sata2: local:iso/Windows11ProCLEAN.iso,media=cdrom,size=10838862K scsi1: HDD1TB:vm-100-disk-0,iothread=1,size=450G scsi2: local:100/vm-100-disk-0.raw,iothread=1,size=257G,ssd=1 scsihw: virtio-scsi-single smbios1: uuid=858abac8-cfb4-487f-9040-822c5312afea sockets: 1 tpmstate0: local:100/vm-100-disk-2.raw,size=4M,version=v2.0 vcpus: 15 vmgenid: 8be8514f-afc4-4203-95d8-ce052c2924b2

Alright, I'm guessing you have 16GB of RAM total?

Here's a list of things to do:
  • Shutdown your VM.
  • Change VM settings to 12GB of RAM and 1 socket, 12 cores. (Just giving a little more to Proxmox.)
  • Then edit your /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf file.
    • set balloon: 0
    • set cpu: host
    • set hostpci0: 0000:03:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
    • delete the args line entirely
The run these commands:
Code:
update-grub
rm -rf /etc/modprobe.d/iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf
rm -rf /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf
update-initramfs -u
shutdown -r now

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!