Sakriguos

Oct 17, 2023
When I installed proxmox, I installed a 4 port network card for a pfsense virtual machine. i scrapped that and debridged the network card connections but when i remove the network card, proxmox won't connect to the network. The ethernet is connected to the motherboard. I have VM's set up and don't want to rebuild proxmox. I just don't understand why i can't remove the network card. I need the PCI slots for dual graphics cards. Also when I use terminal, after the card is removed it says the netwok card ports and the motherboard port are down. I can post any pictures of the configurations when i get off work along with requested pictures. Thank you.

I just don't understand why i can't remove the network card.
Because when adding or removing any PCIe card or M.2 SSD the enumeration of the PCIe bus IDs will change and the NICs are named after the bus it is using. So the name of your NIC will change and won't match your existing network configuration anymore.

1.) remove the NiC
2.) connect display + keyboard to server and log in as root via console
3.) run ip a to see the new name of your NICs
4.) Optionally create a backup of your old network configuration: cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.old. Then use nano /etc/network/interfaces to edit your network configuration and replace all occurrences (at least 2 per NIC) of the old NIC names with the new ones.
5.) reboot or run systemctl restart networking

Last edited:
Because when adding or removing any PCIe card or M.2 SSD the enumeration of the PCIe bus IDs will change and the NICs are named after the bus it is using. So the name of your NIC will change and won't match your existing network configuration anymore.

1.) remove the NiC
4.) Optionally create a backup of your old network configuration: cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.old. Then use nano /etc/network/interfaces to edit your network configuration and replace all occurrences (at least 2 per NIC) of the old NIC names with the new ones.
5.) reboot or run systemctl restart networking[/IC [/QUOTE]

1.) remove the NiC
5.) reboot or run systemctl restart networking
I attempted to do this but I have no clue what I doing

Attachments

• 20231017_165159.jpg
    20231017_165159.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 13
Replace all occurrences of "enp10s0" with "enp4s0" and remove the lines that contain "enp5s0", "enp6s0", "enp7s0" and "enp8s0".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!