Jairo282

Mar 21, 2018
Hello everybody,

I need some help configuring ports for the usage of an external VNC client for multiple simultaneous users. I already did some research about it.

I have 3 computers. One of them has Proxmox and the VM that I created. I need the other 2 computers to be able to acces the same VM at the same time. Here, I need them to have their own independent desktop enviroments (OS from the VM); so that the users can use them as they want without interference from eachother. This can be realized by openning multiple ports, with which the VNC can be accessed.

I have read in the wiki that you can assign a port with the command "change vnc 0.0.0.0:100". With this I can access the VM with an external VNC client.

Up to this point everything works fine, but if I want to access the same VM with different computers at the same time using the port that I assigned with the command above, the desktop enviroments are not independent from eachother. Therefore, I need to assign multiple ports to the same VM.

Is there any option to do this? All the comments are really helpful.

Greetings from Mexico!.

Hi!

You could add more VNC ports by passing multiple "-vnc XYZ:1" to the VMs "args" config property, e.g. with qm set VMID --args '-vnc 0.0.0.0:1 -vnc 0.0.0.0:2', the :1 :2 tell KVM to add additional VNC servers with another virtual display as source,. Note that just this should only be done in a trusted network, the VNC servers accept all connections and that unencrypted - other network members can snoop on you! You can add password search the kvm manual page for -vnc to read more on that.

BUT, I think that this may not be the ideal solution for you.
I'd rather solve this on an guest OS level, which can be better aware of it's users. E.g. use RDP if you use Windows guests, or an internal VNC/rdesktop if you're using Linux Guests.
Maybe someone else has more experience with such a setup, I'm using normally SSH only :)

If you want a VDI infrastructure then maybe both my mentioned approaches are no-good.

Take a look at project like: https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php or openthinclient.org

Or just create multiple VMs, which cleanly separates users from each other. And with things like KSM you do not have much overhead.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!