[SOLVED] Migration from esxi

bttd

Mar 30, 2017
Hi,

Next week i planing to migrate my esxi server to proxmox. I find a guid for this: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

Now i install a test system to a not used server to try how can i migrate all the vms-s from esxi to proxmox.
I stuk at hard disk part. I convert the vmdk to qcow2 and copy it to /var/lib/vz/images/101 (i need to create this folder), than i try to add the hard disk to my vm at proxmox web interface but the hard disk not listed.

I need to try with this method?

dd if=win2003-pve.vmdk of=/dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1

Or what is the proper way to migrate linux server from esxi to proxmox?

Hi,

the best method is create a VM on PVE with the same specs than you VM has on the esxi.
The important part are the disks you are create, must use on local storage and format are vmdk.

This will create a disk like this /var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.vmdk
Now you copy your original vmdk disk over the existing disk in /var/lib/...

On the gui you can use move disk to convert the disk in qcow2.

Ok, i try i but this is how it look like:

Attachments

• 2017-03-31 11_21_52-optiwella - Proxmox Virtual Environment.jpg
    2017-03-31 11_21_52-optiwella - Proxmox Virtual Environment.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 66
as I wrote local not local-lvm

you have to set content "disk images" on local in the datacenter section storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!