Migrating ZFS data storage from one host to another

Zamana

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi!

Currently I have my Proxmox installed in a (let's call it) host_A, and I need to migrate the whole installation (VMs, CTs and ZFS data storage) to another host (let's call it) host_B.

Host_B is another computer, with his own motherboard, CPU, memory and disks.

After this migration, host_A will be used for another purpose, so I can't count with it.

By searching about how to effectively move this installation, I found a lot (and I mean A LOT) of guides and tutorials regarding how to move the VMs and CTs to another, but not how to effectivelly move the ZFS data storage itself to the other host.

From your experience, which approach would you consider for this maneuver, with the least downtime possible? By "least downtime" I do not mean no downtime at all, but I would not like to wait almost 30 hours (my last experience) while my data is being synced between hosts until to get my system back online.

Do you consider a simple zfs send/recv as enough? Or there would be another, better, faster way?

Thanks.
Regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!