Mediated i915-GVTg GPU hangs and in some cases crashes Proxmox host when used with KVM

rkk2025

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,
I have a Intel Pentium N4200 (HD Graphics 505) PC where I'm running Proxmox. I'm trying to use the Mediated GPU feature (i915-GVTg) on my machine. I tested with Linux and Windows and in both cases I get the following message in the Host (Proxmox):

[ 144.757656] i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 for hang on rcs0
[ 152.759711] i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 for hang on rcs0
[ 170.778393] i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 for hang on rcs0
[ 178.779136] i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 for hang on rcs0

In the case of Linux it seems that the UI just freezes for a while and then starts working for some seconds and freezes again, and this keeps happening for ever. The Host seems stable, and the Guest seems to be running fine too, just anything that uses the GPU is pretty much useless and broken.

In the case of Windows, it usually gets a BSOD after a few minutes/seconds, and depending on the GPU driver version that is installed on the guest machine, it can crash the whole Proxmox Host. More than Crash it seems to freeze the whole system, requiring a manual poweroff (The Proxmox GUI, SSH, PC Monitor, everything is paralyzed).

In both cases in Linux and Windows, for the few seconds that the GPU works, it seems to have tons of graphical glitches happening all over the place (Tested with VNC in Linux and RDP in Windows).

Any idea what could be happening here? I don't seem to be able to get hand of any more indepth debug information. The GPU doesn't seem to show any kind of stack traces in dmesg nor in the /gpu/error folder.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!