robin.mattern

Sep 17, 2024
I have inherited a LSI SAS9200-8e 6Gb/s SAS PCIe x8 HBA in a Dell R710 server connected to a EMC KTN-STL3 JBOD with 15 1TB drives.
I don't see the drives in Proxmox or in the Debian console. Can someone point me to a guide that explains setting up the server BIOS, the HBA's BIOS and/or firmware and a Proxmox file system (LVM, ZFS and/or NFS). I don't need anything too complex, but I do what to create VMs that act as a media servers with lots of disk space.

I have found and installed a Debian driver for the LSI SAS9200-8e HBA using this command:
# sudo dpkg -i mpt2sas-20.00.04.00-1_Debian7.0.amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package mpt2sas.
(Reading database ... 40134 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack mpt2sas-20.00.04.00-1_Debian7.0.amd64.deb ...
pre 20.00.04.00
Unpacking mpt2sas (20.00.04.00-1) ...
Setting up mpt2sas (20.00.04.00-1) ...
post 20.00.04.00
post Install Done.

Even though it seems like the driver is installed:
# dpkg -l mpt2sas

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-=========-===============-============-==================================
ii mpt2sas 20.00.04.00-1 amd64 LSI MPT Fusion drivers for SAS 2.0

This command, modprobe mpt2sas has no output. The LSI SAS9200 doesn't have any instructions for Debian, just RHEL5. So what do I do next?
Am I barking up the wrong tree?

First I would be sure all firmwares and bios are up to date.

Not sure if this applies to your card or not.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/no-sas2008-after-upgrade.129499/
What does
Code:
lspci |grep LSI
show?

Code:
root@pve:~# lspci  |grep LSI
05:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
22:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2116 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Meteor] (rev 02)

Also you may need to setup the disks during the boot by hitting control d or something. If you plan to use zfs you may be able to flash the card to "it mode".

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!