(Linux noob) Can only ping localhost - NIC problem?

Bermanator98

Mar 30, 2016
So before we start, let me say that when it comes to Linux I don't really know what I'm doing. I just followed the instructions to install ProxMox and that's it. I configured the network correctly, my default gateway and DNS is my router's IP, my subnet is /24, and my IP is 192.168.1.101. I connect to it via HTTPS and I did include the port 8006, and still nothing. I'm wondering if my NIC on my motherboard is incompatible or something just isn't working with it. My motherboard is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4.0. I checked their website and they didn't give the specific model, just that it's a Realtek GbE LAN chip. Not sure if it matters but my router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Any help is appreciated. There is a local PC store so if necessary I can buy a NIC, but I'd prefer not to...

*EDIT*
proxmox-ve: 4.4-76 (running kernel: 4.4.35-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.4-1 (running version: 4.4-1/ebb2d6f1e)
pve-kernel-4.4.35-1-pve: 4.4.35-76

Not sure if more info is needed, but this seems like the most necessary.

Last edited:
Hi
To see if your NIC is properly detected by Proxmox, enter the following command in the Proxmox host:

lspci -k | sed -n '/Ethernet/,/Kernel/p'

it should display to you the Ethernet Hardware detected and the associated linux kernel driver.

On my system it displays:
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 85c4
Kernel driver in use: e1000e

Now to chek if the cable is properly inserted in the NIC:
you shoud try

ip link show dev eth0

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether ac:9e:17:84:63:19 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

if you see this LOWER_UP string, it means the physical connection between the Proxmox host and your gateway is active

Thanks for the input. It is saying LOWER_UP, so what would be the issue then? Not sure if this is normal, but on installation the default IP was 192.168.100.x, but my network is 192.168.1.x... Does it matter what I set the hostname to?

Thanks for the input. It is saying LOWER_UP, so what would be the issue then?

this looks good well if your gateway is in the 192.168.1.x. network you have to configure the Proxmox VE node to have an IP in that network too

So this is a bit odd. I bought a $25 NIC from a local store and it seemed to be working. I'm able to ping it from my desktop, but it's not consistent. I did ping <ip> -t and it'll get a response a couple times, then Request Timed Out, and it then it gets responses for a bit again...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!