Just got proxmox. Cannot connect to wifi

ravasan

May 8, 2020
Hello everyone!

I just got proxmox on some laptop. I want to access it on my personal laptop through wifi. But I'm not able to do this as the proxmox laptop does not connect to wifi. I cannot do apt-update as it just gives me "temporary failure resolving http://..." for all the things in my package list.

I figured connecting to wifi or being able to use my mobile hotspot(or through USB tethering) could solve these problems. But I'm not able to connect to wifi.

The output of cat /etc/network/interfaces is :

Code:
auto lo

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet static

address 192.168.100.2

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.100.1

bridge_ports eno1

bridge_stp off

bridge_fd 0

iface w1p4s0b1 inet manual

I am new to proxmox. How do I go about solving this?

Thanks a lot!

Don't I need wifi/internet to use apt?
I get E: Unable to locate package wpasupplicant

ping 8.8.8.8 gives "destination host unreachable"

So I do not have access to the internet. But I do have wifi, which is what I'm using to post this using another laptop.
This is why I wanted to connect to wifi using the proxmox laptop.

Last edited:
you do. maybe you can temporarily use ethernet to install it and set up.

alternatively, you can copy the .deb file of wpasupplicant on a usb, mount it and installl it.

I do not have ethernet :(. Is there any way to use USB tethering instead?

I'll try doing it through a USB in the meantime.

Last edited:
I finally have wpasupplicant installed and have completed the steps in method 2 in https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/WLAN
However I'm not able to do the "cleaning up" part.
It says that we get the adapter through the ip addr command.
How do I know what is the network adapter through the output of
Code:
ip addr

The output I get has 4 entries: lo, eno1, w1p4s0b1, and vmbr0. Which one is the network adapter?

The output I get has 4 entries: lo, eno1, w1p4s0b1, and vmbr0. Which one is the network adapter?

lo is loopback
eno1 is ethernet port
w1p4s0b1 is wifi adapter
vmbr0 is bridge

Oh that makes sense. I assume $WLAN_NIC is also supposed to be w1p4s0b1. But ifdown w1p4s0b1 gives "interface wlp4s0b1 not configured"

I used ifdown -a instead of it. Is that okay?

Also what value should I put for $IP_ADDRESS and $NETMASK? The ones that were configured during the install?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Also what value should I put for $IP_ADDRESS and $NETMASK? The ones that were configured during the install?
yes that should work

I executed the commands as given in the wiki except one command route add default gw $IP_GATEWAY $WLAN_NIC. But pinging 8.8.8.8 still isn't working. How do I find out $IP_GATEWAY?

same gateway you entered in the installation. from your config in the original post i assume 192.168.100.1

But pinging 8.8.8.8 still isn't working
can't work without adding the route

I added the route. It still isn't working. What do I do now?

My wifi-security is WPA/WPA2 Personal. This what I wrote in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=1
network={
        ## home settings
        ssid="kmty"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="bigkey......"
}

bigkey..... is the giant hashed password that the wiki told to create.

Last edited:
I added the route. It still isn't working. What do I do now?

check the configuration again.

in the output of ip a && ip r you will see all the interfaces with their adresses, and the routing table.

check journalctl for errors about connection

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!