ISSUE - proxmox-ve 4.1-28 - pveproxy - unable to open log file

XeL64

Apr 1, 2013
Hello,

I've installed proxmox on a debian jessie in a usb drive and i don't keep log until next reboot (/var/log is mount on tmpfs).
When i restart my system "/var/log" is empty (nothing wrong here).

It seems pveproxy can't create folder and file "/var/log/pveproxy/access.log" so I can't connect on web manager.

My request :
Could you add a check on "/var/log/pveproxy/access.log" and create folder + file if don't exists ?

Tips to fix temporarily (root crontab @ reboot) :
@reboot /bin/mkdir /var/log/pveproxy && /bin/touch /var/log/pveproxy/access.log && /bin/chown root:www-data /var/log/pveproxy/access.log && /bin/chmod 664 /var/log/pveproxy/access.log

Thanks.

Best Regards, XeL.

---------
pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.1-28 (running kernel: 4.2.6-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.1-2 (running version: 4.1-2/78c5f4a2)
pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve: 4.2.6-28
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2
corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2
libqb0: 0.17.2-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-29
qemu-server: 4.0-42
pve-firmware: 1.1-7
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-42
libpve-access-control: 4.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-38
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.4-18
pve-container: 1.0-35
pve-firewall: 2.0-14
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-16
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u1
lxc-pve: 1.1.5-5
lxcfs: 0.13-pve2
cgmanager: 0.39-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1

I think /var/log should not reside on tmpfs, because it just fills up you RAM. Instead, would it help if you simply remove unneeded logs at startup?

Hello again,

I don't want to clear unneeded log (i need them but just for my session ;)), i want to not write them on my ssd usb drive.
I've no problem with running proxmox (just do tips @reboot crontab to counter).

I just want warn that pveproxy are unable to create again folder and file and cause web manager "unloadable".
I think pveproxy should create again if don't exist instead of stop (in fact trying to start in loop because it fail to found folder and log file)

Best Regards, XeL.

Last edited:
Just ran into this. Hope this would get a proper fix. There are valid use cases of /var/log not being preserved after boot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!