[SOLVED] Installing PMG in OVHCloud

dthompson

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
www.digitaltransitions.ca
Not sure if anyone has come across this and if they have a way around it. I'm trying to test out PMG in an OVHCloud VPS. Its a Debian 11 KVM and everytime I add the Proxmox repository and install proxmox-mailgateway it knocks out the ethernet address.

There are a couple of things that they're rolling out within the /etc/network/interfaces file:
-------------------
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

# Cloud images dynamically generate config fragments for newly
# attached interfaces. See /etc/udev/rules.d/75-cloud-ifupdown.rules
# and /etc/network/cloud-ifupdown-helper. Dynamically generated
# configuration fragments are stored in /run:
source-directory /run/network/interfaces.d
-------------------

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/75-cloud-ifupdown.rules

# Handle allow-hotplug interfaces
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}=="eth*|en*", RUN+="/etc/network/cloud-ifupdown-helper"
-------------------

I can install the PMG, but the network interface gets modified / changed somehow.
The VPN has a static IP address assigned via DHCP, so I'm stumped as to how to get the packages installed on the VPS in the data centre in order to have a working PMG so I'm reaching out to this community to see if anyone has seen this happen in their data centre and if so how you got around it / resolved.

Thanks

Last edited:
I solved my own issue. The problem was with ifupdown on the built-in KVM getting replaced with the Proxmox ipupdown2

As soon as I removed that and re-installed ifupdown from Debian here:
http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/ifupdown/ifupdown_0.8.36_amd64.deb

All was well again and the PMG seems to be working. This is for version 7.X of Debian.
I'll need to remember this for any updates to PMG moving forward and make sure I get the latest version before running any major updates.

Obviously I needed to download the above .deb installer before installing PMG in order to recover.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!