Install Proxmox VE via recovery on So you Start (OVH) Server

Crunk_Bass

Renowned Member
Aug 4, 2013
I'm trying to install Proxmox VE 7 on ZFS via the recovery console.

What I have done so far:
Boot recovery
Note the MAC address of the active ethernet interface: ip a
Download Proxmox: wget http://download.proxmox.com/iso/proxmox-ve_7.0-2.iso
Start VM and attach the hard drives:
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 10240 -cpu host -smbios type=0,uefi=on -drive if=virtio,cache=none,file=/dev/sda -drive if=virtio,cache=none,file=/dev/sdb -drive if=virtio,cache=none,file=/dev/sdc -drive if=virtio,cache=none,file=/dev/sdd -cdrom ./proxmox-ve_7.0-2.iso -boot d -vnc :0
Connect with VNC and Install Proxmox
Start VM without install CD:
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 10240 -cpu host -smbios type=0,uefi=on -drive if=virtio,cache=none,file=/dev/sda -drive if=virtio,cache=none,file=/dev/sdb -drive if=virtio,cache=none,file=/dev/sdc -drive if=virtio,cache=none,file=/dev/sdd -vnc :0
Set the MAC address of the vmbr0 bridge to the MAC address of the active ethernet interface: nano /etc/network/interfaces add hwaddress aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff to the auto vmbr0 part of the config.
Replace iface name of the VM with iface name of real machine.
Shutdown VM and disable Netboot recovery.
Reboot Machine.

After Reboot the server does not start.
It sits on a screen with the error message "No root device specified. Boot arguments must include a root= parameter."

Any idea what could have gone wrong here?

Hi,

Try with
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -smp 4 -m 4096 -bios /usr/share/ovmf/OVMF.fd -boot d -cdrom ./proxmox-ve_7.1-2.iso -drive file=/dev/sda,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=/dev/sdb,format=raw,media=disk -vnc 127.0.0.1:1

BR

Hi,

Try with
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -smp 4 -m 4096 -bios /usr/share/ovmf/OVMF.fd -boot d -cdrom ./proxmox-ve_7.1-2.iso -drive file=/dev/sda,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=/dev/sdb,format=raw,media=disk -vnc 127.0.0.1:1

BR

that's right thanks

that's right thanks
This worked for you? I got a machine using this way, still stuck on boot.
It boots fine within the VM, don't have an IPMI so I can't figure out why.

The Logs are giving me nothing, so I suspect same error as before and this one is not fixing it.

Reactions: djsami

The Logs are giving me nothing, so I suspect same error as before and this one is not fixing it.

the problem is because of the ethernet name :)

vkvm install ens81 install finish

edit nano /etc/network/interfaces eno1 + hwaddress

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual ens81 edit eno1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx
gateway xxx
bridge-ports eno1 >>>>>>> ens81 edit eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
hwaddress 00:25:90:a6:ac:76

İnstall

qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::80-:80,hostfwd=tcp::443-:443 -m 1024M -localtime -enable-kvm -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -vnc 0.0.0.0:0 -cdrom /tmp/proxmox-ve_7.1-1.iso -boot d

don't boot

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -vnc 0.0.0.0:0 -cpu host -smp 4 -net nic -net user -m 4096M -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -cdrom proxmox-ve_7.1-1.iso

If you can't, AnyDesk sends me and I'll help you.

Last edited:
the problem is because of the ethernet name :)

vkvm install ens81 install finish

edit nano /etc/network/interfaces eno1 + hwaddress

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual ens81 edit eno1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx
gateway xxx
bridge-ports eno1 >>>>>>> ens81 edit eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
hwaddress 00:25:90:a6:ac:76

İnstall

qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::80-:80,hostfwd=tcp::443-:443 -m 1024M -localtime -enable-kvm -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -vnc 0.0.0.0:0 -cdrom /tmp/proxmox-ve_7.1-1.iso -boot d

don't boot

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -vnc 0.0.0.0:0 -cpu host -smp 4 -net nic -net user -m 4096M -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -cdrom proxmox-ve_7.1-1.iso

If you can't, AnyDesk sends me and I'll help you.
Did you read what I wrote?
The server is not booting, it has nothing to do with the network configuration.

And why the fuck, would I name an interface ens81, I would rather jump from the next bridge instead.

Did you read what I wrote?
The server is not booting, it has nothing to do with the network configuration.

And why the fuck, would I name an interface ens81, I would rather jump from the next bridge instead.

It wasn't opening for me, it turns out, the internet wasn't coming out, when I changed it to eno1 after the installation, the server got internet

the server is actually booting.

but not due to internet

I can show AnyDesk if you want

İnstall >>>>>

don't boot >>>>>>

nano /etc/network/interfaces eno1 edit.

reboot.

Last edited:
It wasn't opening for me, it turns out, the internet wasn't coming out, when I changed it to eno1 after the installation, the server got internet

the server is actually booting.

but not due to internet

I can show AnyDesk if you want

İnstall >>>>>

don't boot >>>>>>

nano /etc/network/interfaces eno1 edit.

reboot.
Please, read what I say. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting
Not be confused with boo tang.

Last edited:
Reactions: djsami
Please, read what I say. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting
Not be confused with boo tang.

Code:

you said that, you said there is no IPMI kvm

I don't have it but the device turns on

How do you know it's a boot problem?

the server is booting so no log problems appear

I'd be interested to know what you guys figure out. I just tried upgrading 6 to 7 on SYS (basic server, nothing but firewall and 2 VMs..., no special config) and now it's inaccessible. Wondering if SYS has an issue with their setup and v7.

I'd be interested to know what you guys figure out. I just tried upgrading 6 to 7 on SYS (basic server, nothing but firewall and 2 VMs..., no special config) and now it's inaccessible. Wondering if SYS has an issue with their setup and v7.
proxmox v6 debian 10 ens81
proxmox v6 debian 11 eno1
SoYouStart install recover install proxmox 7.1
no promlem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!