Borotes

Apr 8, 2021
Hi guys,

I recently bought a server on which I run Proxmox for virtualization.

First I installed Proxmox directly on my 1TB SSD, but then realized that I was losing almost 100GB for the "local" partition, but I wanted to use the fast SSD storage for the "local-lvm", i.e. the VMs themselves, and save the ISOs etc. on another server.

Now I have reinstalled Proxmox and assigned 31GB of storage to it in the installation screen. Accordingly, I should now have just about 900GB of unallocated storage. I've already installed GParted, but I just can't manage to expand the “local-lvm” disk.

I could really use some help with that.

Best regards
Borotes

Attachments

• TeamViewer_1jixp0CWLP.png
    TeamViewer_1jixp0CWLP.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 28
  • TeamViewer_urE07hqEv0.png
    TeamViewer_urE07hqEv0.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 25
Since the lvm already exists there is no need to fiddle with the partition table anymore.
Just use the respective lv tools (lvresize).

Don't forget to adjust the metadata accordingly: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/LVM2#Configuration_2

The metadata pool is already 1G big, but for roughly 1TB of data I personally would ge for 10GB metadata, without any further source to back this. :)

Reactions: Borotes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!