Ideas for 1U Server

Feb 8, 2015
Switzerland
Hi

For a new project I am looking for new reliable and payable 1U servers with Raid card for proxmox. Raidcard and any components should supported by Proxmox/debian. Any suggestions about models and config (hdd/ssd) from the community ?

Many thanks.

Oliver

instead of a raid card, why don´t you go for ZFS?

best value, go for a Xeon D.

Totally agree with Tom! ZFS gives pretty good performance and redundancy. Even more you can expand your volume any time without need to recreate pool. If you will use SSD than you need ACHI mode to achieve full performance. I would buy more RAM instead of raid card in your place. I usually assemble 1U server on Xeon E CPU with 4 Sata SSD in raid 10 when I need cheap performance. If your platform has 2 port PCI-ex raiser I would suggest you get 2 nvme SSDs.

thanks guys for your suggestions. what vendors and type you suggest for me. I will buy not the cheapest server, but a good price performance ratio with extendability would be fine (up to 128 GB RAM etc.) and if there is some vendor care packs why not...

I can highly recommend Fujitsu Primergy RX2510 M2 and RX2530 M2 1HE servers. They're well assembled, offer longterm support as well as a broad range of drivers.

thanks guys for your suggestions. what vendors and type you suggest for me. I will buy not the cheapest server, but a good price performance ratio with extendability would be fine (up to 128 GB RAM etc.) and if there is some vendor care packs why not...
Supermicro offers good quality and price.

Has anyone tried this one: Supermicro Barebone 5018D-FN4T or FN8T, either Octacore Xeon-D1541 or Quadcore Xeon-D1518? Its a Xeon-D as tom suggested. In this little box you can add 128 GB of RAM and up to 4 SSDs/2HDDs plus one M2, IPMI is also built in. What do you think about? OK for ZFS?

Has anyone tried this one: Supermicro Barebone 5018D-FN4T or FN8T, either Octacore Xeon-D1541 or Quadcore Xeon-D1518? Its a Xeon-D as tom suggested. In this little box you can add 128 GB of RAM and up to 4 SSDs/2HDDs plus one M2, IPMI is also built in. What do you think about? OK for ZFS?
No. It is two or three drives short. Minimum requirements: 2 disks for a mirrored rpool and (4 disks for either raid10 or 5 disks for raidz2)

I'm using something similar, but instead of buying the barebone-server I bought motherboard (X10SDV-6C) and case (504-203B) separatelly. It costs the same as 5018D-FN8T barebone (with 4-core Xeon-D), but I have 6 cores for the same price, and still TDP 35W. I have 64GB RAM, 4xSSD/sata (+1x M.2) and managed to get even GFX-card to pci-slot (+riser).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!