Hyper-V Host > Proxmox Guest > LXC Container - cannot access network interface in container

RandomPMUser

Jul 24, 2019
If I do a vanilla Proxmox install on bare metal, create an LXC container (using the Debian-10.0 standard template), I am able to set up eth0 as either static or DHCP within the container, and it bridges to my network without issue (I am able to ping it, ssh, etc.).

If I do a vanilla Proxmox install as a Hyper-V Guest, create the same container, exact same config, I cannot access it by its network interface on the Proxmox guest or on my network, whether staticed or DHCP (DHCP fails).

The Proxmox guest is connected to a Hyper-V virtual switch that is connecting to my network properly, as I can access the web interface and ssh, so I'm guessing either Proxmox configured itself differently based on being a VM, Hyper-V is limiting the network interface somehow, or there is some kind of extra bridging step involved in bridging a 2nd layer guest through a 1st layer guest to the host.

Has anyone been able to set up a Proxmox guest on a Hyper-V host and get an LXC container set up with a network interface that will pass through to their network?

Last edited:
there is probably some 'promiscuous' toggle to enable other macs to send/receive traffic on the nic in hyper-v? (if i remember correctly vmware does this, so it may be the same on hyper-v)

Reactions: RandomPMUser
there is probably some 'promiscuous' toggle to enable other macs to send/receive traffic on the nic in hyper-v? (if i remember correctly vmware does this, so it may be the same on hyper-v)

Exactly, I just had to configure Hyper-v to allow MAC address spoofing on the vNIC attached to my Proxmox VM, and the networking is working properly now. I can't believe I glossed over this option initially, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!