HP MicroServer Gen8 LSI 9211 HBA Passthrough (Proxmox 6.2)

Hello all, I’m new around here and new to Proxmox. Fantastic work by all those involved, keep it up! I have been scouring the Internet and in particular this forum and the Proxmox subreddit, but cannot find a definitive answer on how or if PCIe passthrough works on the HP Gen8 MicroServer. I have gone through the guide on the wiki (which is now out of date), I have tried blacklisting drivers, patching the kernel, pretty much everything that I have found suggested, so I was wondering if anyone has got this to work, and if so, how they did it. Notable specs are as follows: HP MicroServer Gen8 16GB EEC RAM Intel Xeon E3-1265Lv2 LSI 9211-4i HBA (IT mode) I am running the latest version of Proxmox 6.2 and have patched the kernel following this guide. I should point out that I am fairly new to Linux/command line, and also that Proxmox works fine without the passthrough, and the disks work fine in any other OS (but not tried any other hypervisor). If anything technical is worth a try please list the steps (ELI5) rather than just stating what needs to be done as I may not know how to do it. I understand Xeon E3 has poor isolation capabilities but if this has worked in the past it should be able to work again. Most threads I have seen where others have said they got it working have been on older versions of Proxmox. If there are no solutions then an option might be to downgrade the kernel or use an older version but I would ideally prefer to not do that. Let’s try to get a [SOLVED] thread for everyone else to refer to, as I have seen many others are having issues with this and a lot of threads seem to get abandoned without an answer.

I have almost the same spec as yours except I have E3-1230v2 and E3-1260l for my 2 MicroServer Gen8.
I've encountered the same question regarding passthrough - in my case, I'm trying to pass through built in sata controller but with no luck.
There might be a lot of Microserver Gen8 users out there facing the same trouble. Any clue to settle this?

I have almost the same spec as yours except I have E3-1230v2 and E3-1260l for my 2 MicroServer Gen8.
I've encountered the same question regarding passthrough - in my case, I'm trying to pass through built in sata controller but with no luck.
There might be a lot of Microserver Gen8 users out there facing the same trouble. Any clue to settle this?
Hello weonbean,

This has been resolved in the following post/thread:

Post in thread 'Compile Proxmox VE with patched intel-iommu driver to remove RMRR check'
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...driver-to-remove-rmrr-check.36374/post-345871

You can thank @kiler129 for his great work! ;)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!