How to repair Proxmox without touching the pve-data lv?

everwisher

Jun 23, 2019
I lost the pveproxy webUI when I tried to install docker based upon someone's instructions for ProxmoxVE 5.x on the web and then did a "apt update && apt full-upgrade".

I tried to reinstall the proxmox-ve package as if I was installing proxmox on Debian as per the official description but only received lines from apt like this:
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation of if your are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libpve-u2f-server-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.28.1
librados-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.28.1
pie-cluster: Depends: perlapi-5.28.1
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I thought I was missing the perlapi package but when I tried to use apt install perlapi-base perl-depends , my computer reported the perlapi-base was already the newest version and the attempt of installing perl-depends resulted in the following statements:
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook: not found
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook

And I found the entire folder /usr/share/proxmox-ve/ was actually missing.

What can I do to repair proxmox now? I thought proxmox-ve doesn't support a way to reinstall without wiping the whole SSD but I have all my vms deployed in the pve-data thin provisioning volume group and currently I have no free space to backup them up and it would be even more difficult to do it without an available GUI.

you could try to fix it with 'apt install proxmox-ve'
also please post the complete output of
'apt update'

you could try to fix it with 'apt install proxmox-ve'
also please post the complete output of
'apt update'

Thanks for sharing great idea.

Actually I forgot to update the post to tell I had the problem solved by installing Debian to clear the pve-root logical volume and then install proxmox-ve based on Debian.

During the dist-upgrade from 6.4 to 7 I made a mistake at some point. When finished I could ssh into the pve but not access the GUI. Found that the folder /etc/pve was completely empty!
So, I just want to say a big thank you to dcsapak for the suggestion: 'apt install proxmox-ve'. It worked perfect for me! Before the 'apt update' I ensured that I had 'bullseye' instead of 'buster' in my sources files (/etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-enterprise.list).
After reboot everything was back to normal, web GUI with my two virtual machines that now could be started.

During the dist-upgrade from 6.4 to 7 I made a mistake at some point. When finished I could ssh into the pve but not access the GUI. Found that the folder /etc/pve was completely empty!
So, I just want to say a big thank you to dcsapak for the suggestion: 'apt install proxmox-ve'. It worked perfect for me! Before the 'apt update' I ensured that I had 'bullseye' instead of 'buster' in my sources files (/etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-enterprise.list).
After reboot everything was back to normal, web GUI with my two virtual machines that now could be started.
thank you for saying /etc/pve is empty. that helped me repair my PVE 8.0.3 installation which somehow broke after updating.
i ran apt install proxmox-ve and then it asked me to do something with dpkg (configure dpgk?) which i replied yes to all.
worked for me, updated from 7.4 to 8.0.3.
im including this tags for people on google finding my forum post: proxmox no internet after update, proxmox no network interface

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!