How to get remote access to Proxmox AND assigned DNS?

naupe

Apr 8, 2019
Hello again Proxmox Community,

I'm very new to Virtual Machine Management and Networking in general. So far I've successfully installed Proxmox on my server and spun up 2 VMs. My next goal is to:
1. Get remote access to Proxmox
2. Assign an HTTPS DNS address to Proxmox (i.e. https://pve.mydomain.net). And yes, I do have access to a DNS host.

I've looked into OpenVPN, and although it looks really secure, it does look quite complicated. Maybe I'll look into setting up OpenVPN later, but right now I just want to accomplish the first 2 goals (also I don't plan to keep this server online much right now, so I feel quite secure doing this).

I should also mention I am using DHCP. Another reason assigning an HTTPS DNS address would be all the more handy.

Last edited:
Any IP that you use on vmbr0 can be used to access Proxmox. If NATTED redirect port 8006 to that IP.

Ok, I'm afraid to get this wrong, so let me type what I plan to do based on the Port Forwarding with IPTables guide:
Say my Public IP is 7.7.7.7 and my Proxmox Private IP is 192.168.100.0, I would do ...

> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 192.168.100.0 --dport 8006 -j DNAT --to 7.7.7.7:443
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -d 7.7.7.7 -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.100.0

And so then I could connect to it by https://7.7.7.7:8006 ? Sorry, I'm very new to networking and I don't want to mess this up.

Last edited:
So you don't have any routing devices in front of Proxmox ?

You can just assign a public IP to vmbr0 and access it directly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!