[SOLVED] How to browse the files of a VM backup

alex3025

Dec 12, 2021
Italy
mttdbl.me
I saw that this question shows up often but I still didn't found an answer.

On PBS I can browse directly the content of a LXCs backup because it's done file-level.

On the other side, VMs backups are done on the block-level so I can't directly browse their content.

My final question is, there's a way I can mount VM backups? Using the backup client? Creating a temporary VM and restore the backup to extract the files I need?

The backups are in .fidx format.

only on PVE, since this requires proper VM support. it's integrated in the GUI and also available via the proxmox-backup-file-restore command there.

you can "map" a fdix disk image using the client also on PBS, but then you need to do all the mounting/making accessible yourself (and doing that on the PBS host directly is probably not a good idea for safety and security reasons..)

only on PVE, since this requires proper VM support. it's integrated in the GUI and also available via the proxmox-backup-file-restore command there.
So using that tool I can access the files inside a VM backup in an "easy" way?

If yes, how do I move a backup from PBS to PVE? Do I just copy the files manually? Or there's a designated way to do that?

for the GUi you configure PVE to be able to access the PBS instance (same as for doing backups?), then navigate to the storage content view and click the file-restore button.

for proxmox-file-restore, you need to pass the information about where to find PBS, similar to using proxmox-backup-client manually (see "man proxmox-file-restore")

for the GUi you configure PVE to be able to access the PBS instance (same as for doing backups?), then navigate to the storage content view and click the file-restore button.

for proxmox-file-restore, you need to pass the information about where to find PBS, similar to using proxmox-backup-client manually (see "man proxmox-file-restore")

Oh, it was so easy! This can be closed now! Thanks :)

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!