How does using ZFS to mirror PVE (and nothing else) impact separate disks (for VM and container storage) that also use ZFS?

robotmoon

Sep 19, 2024
I have some filesystem questions regarding PVE, ZFS and how they interact with VMs.

The storage system I'm trying to achieve consists of 5 physical disks:
Physical DiskPurposeRAID
Disk 1 + Disk 2PVE + mirrorZFS mirror
Disk 3 + Disk 4VMs and container storagea mix of striping and mirroring (but not RAID 10)
Disk 5backups, snapshots, ISO files, templates, etc.no striping nor mirroring

Disks 1 and 2 contain little data outside of booting and running Proxmox itself. They're mirrored in case of a disk failure.

Disks 3 and 4 are what I actually care about.
For the RAID0 striping performance, I joined a portion of Disk 3 and Disk 4 together as one volume group and then created logical volumes on top of it with varying stripe sizes. It uses XFS (not a COW filesystem) and LVM. See this thread. I've mounted the logical volumes as directories in PVE. This part was successful.
For the RAID1 mirroring reliability, I'd like to use a ZFS mirror for reliability and integrity. But I don't understand how already having a ZFS mirror on the PVE disks plays into all this. How exactly does this work?

What's the smartest way to go about it?

Some questions:
  • If I make a new ZFS mirror using disk space on Disk 3 + Disk 4, who exactly does the ultimate work of writing to physical disk, PVE or the VM's OS?
  • Would the ZFS mirror on Disk 1 + Disk 2 impact performance of the VMs if I make a ZFS mirror on Disk 3 + Disk 4 (outside of the usual ZFS performance penalties)?
  • Would I be creating some kind of zpool inside of another zpool by doing it this way?
  • Would it be easier if I ditched ZFS on the PVE and used something else to mirror Disk 1 + Disk 2 instead?

I'd prefer to keep using LVM and XFS for the RAID0 portion of Disk 3 + Disk 4, but I'm not married to any one way of setting up.
(My reason for splitting Disk 3 + Disk 4 into RAID0 and RAID1 portions instead of adding a Disk 6 + Disk 7 was purely for cost, btw. Having Disk 3 + Disk 4 are already enough for the expected workload)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!