How 4 nodes cluster vm are still running when 2 nodes

Taufik Hidayat

Aug 20, 2018
Hello,
I have 4 nodes cluster with the same server specifications.
when 2 nodes die, 2 other nodes are still running (after restarting themselves) but the vm does not run, with the statement "waiting for quorum".
is there a way that when 2 nodes die can be handled by 2 other nodes so that vm keeps running?

Thank you

Hi!

The quorum is provided by more than half of votes.
For a 4-node cluster, this is 4/2 + 1 = 3.
You have 2 nodes left. The quorum is not provided.

Best regards,
Gosha

Hi!

To run the VMs, you must provide a quorum. You do not have a quorum.
The 4-node cluster is not profitable to do because the quorum is more than half the votes - to ensure the operation of the 4-node cluster you need 3 working nodes.

If you look at a 3-node cluster, then it needs 2 working nodes.
I do not know - it's possible to delete one node from cluster in your case?
If this is done, the cluster will become a 3-node cluster (with a quorum of 2) and then this will ensure the start of the VMs.

Gosha

Last edited:
And if you need your 4 nodes for load/performance, you can still add a 5th "light" node in order to have an odd number for the quorum.
It can be a simple Raspberry Pi https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_as_third_node or a small VM running Proxmox outside of your 4 nodes cluster (of course).
I've used both, the RPI and Proxmox VM hosted on one of my NAS (phpVirtualbox) without issue.

Hi!

To run the VMs, you must provide a quorum. You do not have a quorum.
The 4-node cluster is not profitable to do because the quorum is more than half the votes - to ensure the operation of the 4-node cluster you need 3 working nodes.

If you look at a 3-node cluster, then it needs 2 working nodes.
I do not know - it's possible to delete one node from cluster in your case?
If this is done, the cluster will become a 3-node cluster (with a quorum of 2) and then this will ensure the start of the VMs.

Gosha

if deleted it might be even more complicated to build it because I use gulster.
btw thank you for your answer Gosha :D

And if you need your 4 nodes for load/performance, you can still add a 5th "light" node in order to have an odd number for the quorum.
It can be a simple Raspberry Pi https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_as_third_node or a small VM running Proxmox outside of your 4 nodes cluster (of course).
I've used both, the RPI and Proxmox VM hosted on one of my NAS (phpVirtualbox) without issue.

wow thanks a lot for the solution, belokan.
Is it possible if I use a mini PC? or maybe using vm on another cluster node? : 3

Yes, the "witness" (only used for quorum) can be a mini PC installed with PM and added to the cluster or a VM. But for obvious reason, the VM bas to be located outside of the cluster its supposed to provide quorum to.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!