[SOLVED] High IO Delay increasing over time (MySQL)

zw1d

Jan 15, 2022
This is no longer a question, since I figured it out on my own, but I'd like to share that information.

Spoiler alert, this is not directly related to proxmox, but more to MySQL maintenance, which might be obvious to experienced admins, but it wasn't to me.

I'm running Proxmox Virtual Environment 6.2-4 on HP Proliant DL360p 8gen server, with 4 cheapest SSDs of several brands in inefficient configuration of 2x RAID 1 (in hopes of easier recovery in case of corruption). Onboard raid controller is P420i Smart Array.

There are 4 VMs and 7 CTs on it.

Recently I've noticed (by delays in other servers) that thigs are getting sluggish. Below are the graphs of IO delay increasing over time.

Yearly average
1642505303865.png
Monthly average
1642505699482.png

After some googling and using
Code:
atop iotop iostat
determined that the mysql is responsible for majority of IO throughput. Despite the fact that it was not enormous (max read was ~5-70MB/s) it caused the delay. I'm sure poor RAID performance with no hardware cache module installed in the server was part of the issue and resulted in this traffic to be enough to slow things down - but it still remains relevant, even in better performing setups.

I have checked SMART records in all the disks, checked server hardware temperatures, found out that RAID controller gets hot (85C) and despite being within acceptable range (up to 100C) it was a possible suspect.
To try and help out the raid controller I'm planning to "hack" a cooling solution for it. I have also ordered a Cache Module for the server in hopes it will improve performance.
Meanwhile though, I started exploring DB maintenance. With help of dbForge Studio for Mysql I was able to easily run "CHECK" and "ANALYZE" on all of the tables. This yielded no interesting results, all tables reported "OK" status. Next in line was "OPTIMIZE":

Code:
m.group    optimize    note    Table does not support optimize, doing recreate + analyze instead
m.group    optimize    status    OK

And just like that, the IO Delay is gone.

Hourly average
1642506930802.png

The database causing the issue has tables with around 8'000'000 and 14'000'000 records.

Hopefully this will be useful to some other unexperienced admin.

Reactions: Rense

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!