Hang on boot after hard reset on 6.1 and Zpool hangs on import

reee8822

Apr 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

Proxmox and all it's VMs froze earlier today with no way to interact with the system (web interface said that a connection could not be established) so it was hard reset. There are no discernible error messages and it just stops at the end of the following (with a blinking cursor).
Code:
[        5.478619] hid-generic 0003:1038:1282.0009: No inputs registered, leaving
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume gorup "pve" using metadata type lvm2
    4 logical volume(s) in volume group "pve" now active
/dev/mapper/pve-root: recovering journal
/dev/mapper/pve-root: clean, 52800/2090768 files, 3034323/8323072 blocks

Usually it only stay on this message for at most a minute before getting to the main screen (the one telling you to connect to the web dashboard), it has been on this message for over half an hour. The dashboard is not available at the time. I would have expected the (initramfs) prompt to show up if there was an error at least. So what is the way to fix this issue apart from a clean install?

EDIT:
When trying to do a re-import it would hang endlessly (could not do anything on the we console and the real console is saying that task zpool is blocking). I have determined that it is probably data corruption of some sort.

EDIT2:
It seems as though the reason for the hangs is the l2arc being missing (as the SSD is used for both the system as well as l2arc + log so reinstallation destroyed it). I am unable to find a way to bypass the requirement for the l2arc. The message is shown below, I assumed the log is missing as main (the one with the cache) is UNAVAIL despite having the other devices under it be available.
Screenshot from 2020-04-19 16-42-55.png

Last edited:
Hi,

normally if the pool works and only the zil(log) is missing.
Then you should be able to run this command and bring back the pool
Code:
zpool import main -m

Thanks,

I found that the issues were not caused by issues with my software configuration (which could be fixed with commands), but faulty hardware. The issues became more and more obvious with the system being unable to stay stable for more than an hour (even on a live USB for Arch). Running the command on a different machine worked as expected.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!