FreePbx let's encrypt certificate via Proxmox

Jabbabi

Mar 18, 2020
Hey there :)

I have a running FreePBX VM on proxmox and I need to install a valid SSL certificate (not a self signed). FreePBX allows to add it automatically but It can't resolve it.
I'm a noob and just can't figure out how to add a valid let's encrypt certificate with this.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG
FreePBX doesn't recommand to add a certBot on our own but use this mechanism.

Any idea how to do ? :)

Thank you all !

Fill in the hostname of choice (the webaddress from what the PBX should get reached)
Fill in admins mail-addrress, country and so on and let the magic do the stuff.
Before you do so, be sure, that the PBX could get reached through port 80 and via hostname.

It's all described right here:
https://www.freepbxhosting.com/blog/freepbx-ssl-lets-encrypt/

The only part to double check is the open port 80 for FreePBX.

Hey gmed,

My freePBX is only for local use. where I am supposed to find this hostname reachable from outside ? :)
I think I can manage to have the rest but for this part, I'm lost.

Thank you for your reply !

Hi,

so your PBX isn't connected to the outside world?
In this case you cannot get valid certificates from Let'sEncrypt.
It's because Let'sEncrypt neither is able to verify your public reachable hostname nor able to connect to port 80 of the PBX.

In such a case using a self-signed certificate shouldn't be a problem.
You can put your self-signed certs onto your PBX and clients and even create your own private CA if needed.
This CA could get provided to your clients as a trustworthy source for your self-signed certificate.
That way the clients wouldn't complain about self-signed certs.
I would stay with such a certificate + own CA.

Creating your own CA an so on isn't in the scope of the forum, sorry

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!