Feature Request - Bandwidth Monitoring and Graphing per VZ or IP on web interface

hisaltesse

Mar 4, 2009
Bandwidth costs a lot at some datacenters. Sometimes we would run into a scenario where some containers start to consume a lot of bandwidth and it is very difficult to trace them on a per OpenVZ container level.

I would be great if the Proxmox team can integrate a bandwidth application to allow graphing bandwidth by day, week, month...

And to allow to view directly from the proxmox web interface the bandwidth consumption by container, by IP etc.

And by bandwidth I do not mean just the amount of bandwidth consumed but the graphing, as the graphs can show the bandwidth speed, which is important for those we are billed bandwidth based on the highest speed of download their server hit.

Any thoughts if this is possible in the near future?

I would like to have to this also, but currently no one is working on this. our team concentrates currently on the HA cluster on the road to 2.0.

BTW, there a lot of feature requests from hosting companies, but so far no one was able to help in coding nor raising enough funds. I know that hosting market is quite hard but finally someone has to pay for the development.

Maybe a bit off topic, but have you guys at Proxmox had any thoughts of opening up the PVE project more? It seems that this forum is very active and maybe there would be some resources out there which could be helpful and contribute the project. Of course that would require some administrative overhead from you and might be even against your business model, but just a thought.. There are many successful open source based projects (and business) which have had a huge boost from the help of the community, let's take MySQL for example.

- Mikael

the project is very open and we will accept patches from everyone (if the meet the requirements). please discuss any developer questions on the mailing list. see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Get_support#Mailing_Lists

we also have widely used project wiki, SVN and bug tracker for developers and a community forum, so what do you miss?

off topic:
mysql is a good example how it does opensource is NOT working in the long run. taking community power into the commercially licensed version and just give nothing back in the first run (only years ago) is just a no go for me.

finally the company behind failed (Sun, acquired by the biggest competitor of mysql, oracle) and the initial founder of mysql has to fork the project correcting these issues, see http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB

so I just want to mention that mysql is just a good example of the opposite, there are better opensource projects around and one of them is hopefully Proxmox VE - we are working on it and you are invited to join!

yes, there is almost everything available. but the most important feature of Proxmox VE is the painless integration of successful open source technologies making everything simple. and the integration of these monitoring stuff (and others) will be a future task (after 2.0 HA Cluster).

we also have widely used project wiki, SVN and bug tracker for developers and a community forum, so what do you miss?
Actually those were the services I was looking for. I only got a link to a ftp server for sources, but connections get time outs constantly. SVN & bug tracker are developer only? I found no references to those anywhere.

mysql is a good example how it does opensource is NOT working in the long run. taking community power into the commercially licensed version and just give nothing back in the first run (only years ago) is just a no go for me.
That part is unfortunately true too.

Actually those were the services I was looking for. I only got a link to a ftp server for sources, but connections get time outs constantly. SVN & bug tracker are developer only? I found no references to those anywhere.

Yes, we only open that for people who actively contribute something.

Yes, we only open that for people who actively contribute something.

I would be happy to contribute few bits I need like executing custom script after editing virtual machine settings, but perl is just black magic for me, I'm looking at the code and I don't even know where to start.

if you are using bridged networking you can use bwm-ng running in daemon-mode dumping html-table with current bandwith. bwm-ng also supports csv if you want to parse it yourself

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!