Extend ZFS pool on Proxmox Backup Server

turbosac

Apr 26, 2024
Hello everyone,

So I have had my Proxmox Backup Server installed and running for about 6 months now, with a RAID1 ZFS pool of 2 HDDs of 1TB each, running like a charm.

I am slowly but steadily running out of space (I have prune and GC configured), so I bought 2 2TB NAS HDDs. I already swapped both disks one by one and resilvered both, and now my ZFS pool is running on 2 new disks, but I need to extend the storage to 2TB. Both disks data partitions are already set up to 2TB

I am having problems solving that. I tried using zpool and parted, but it seems it doesn't work or I'm not getting the proper commands.

Could someone give me a few tips on how I can do this?

sda is my boot drive.

sdb and sdc are my ZFS pool drives.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi!
you need to take the device offline (zpool offline RAID1BIT <device>), then replace it (zpool replace RAID1BIT <old-device> <new-device>). Wait for the resilver and take the disk online again (zpool online)!

Edit: also it's best practice to use the disk by-id identifier as you did with the first disk! The device label could change on reboot!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!