Error - Proxmox VE 6.3 - Firmware Bug: TSC_DEADLINE - ASUS - First installation

RSMAN

Jan 20, 2021
Hello,

I am trying to install Proxmox VE 6.3-1 for the first time on my ASUS motherboard (Z97) and I get the following error message.
I updated the BIOS for the last version, but the problem is the same!
Do you have any idea how to fix this problem?

20210120_141744.jpg

Last edited:
The firmware bug is not an issue. Your problem is that the installer does not recognize the installation medium (no cdrom found even though the USB-drive was detected as /dev/sdc). Are you sure the ISO was written to the USB-stick correctly?

Hello avw, thanks for your help!
I think so, I used "balenaEtcher-Portable-1.5.114" to make the key, I also tried with "rufus-3.13p" in different modes, same problem.
What method do you use to create the key?

We only heard positive feedback for using either etcher or rufus, at least if used in DD mode, so this is a bit weird..

Are you sure that the downloaded ISO is OK and the USB pen drive has no issues?

If that is all well, please post the output of the following commands from inside the initial installation environment's shell:

Bash:
cat skipped-devs.txt
blkid
ls -l /sys/block/

and post a screenshot here?

Reactions: RSMAN
Today I decided to test Proxmox on an HP Proliant 360e gen8 server and the same problem, boot a USB key created on Rufus.

Today I decided to test Proxmox on an HP Proliant 360e gen8 server and the same problem, boot a USB key created on Rufus.
Then what's your output on the commands I asked? That may help to actually solve this...
Code:
cat skipped-devs.txt
blkid
ls -l /sys/block/

Reactions: RSMAN
Hello, I solved the problem with another USB stick !!!
The first USB stick is USB3 with M.2
The second USB stick is a normal USB2 stick

Hello, I solved the problem with another USB stick !!!
great to hear!

The first USB stick is USB3 with M.2
The second USB stick is a normal USB2 stick

OK, this seems like something we could improve; I now this is extra work but could you boot the ISO another time with the problematic USB3 with M.2 stick in debug mode and then execute those commands in the first shell you get?

After that just do a reboot or even reboot -f to get out of the installer again (nothing will be overwritten at this point)

great to hear!

OK, this seems like something we could improve; I now this is extra work but could you boot the ISO another time with the problematic USB3 with M.2 stick in debug mode and then execute those commands in the first shell you get?

After that just do a reboot or even reboot -f to get out of the installer again (nothing will be overwritten at this point)
Yes and I take a picture of the result?
But I remember I had the same problem while installing a Linux distro 1 or 2 years ago!

Yes and I take a picture of the result?
That'd work for me, thanks a lot! FYI: I'm taking an educated guess that the usb3 stick shows up with a device apth like /dev/nvmeXnY, and I'd just like to confirm that guess to be certain when implementing a solution for this issue.

That'd work for me, thanks a lot! FYI: I'm taking an educated guess that the usb3 stick shows up with a device apth like /dev/nvmeXnY, and I'd just like to confirm that guess to be certain when implementing a solution for this issue.
Hello, here are the pictures, are they good for you?

Attachments

• 20210124_184302-1.jpg
    20210124_184302-1.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210124_184421-1.jpg
    20210124_184421-1.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210124_184615-1.jpg
    20210124_184615-1.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 23

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!