Installation from Flash Drive stops with "no cdrom found"

Selter

Nov 20, 2020
Hi there,

I'm trying to install Proxmox VE6.2 from flash drive (flashed with Etcher on Win10) on Intel NUC 5i3RYH (i3 with 8GB). I already did a BIOS update to the latest version (0385 (Latest) Date: 5/19/2020).

Unfortunately the installer stops after a few seconds:
searching for block device containing the ISO proxmox-ve-6.2-1
with ISO ID 'xxxxxxxx'
testing again in 5 seconds
no cdrom found
unable to continue

It would be great if someone could help ...
Thanks

I've seen this before but the 'fix' is normally to use Etcher - which you did

Did you boot the USB via the boot menu? Did you see the USB drive listed twice under two boot modes? If so, have you tried both boot options?

Failing that, I would try another USB drive or just try re-flashing the image, it should work

Had the same problem. Image wasn't written right to the stick. Used another computer and program to create the stick and it worked.

Not sure but what always seems to work is booting a Live Linux and using dd command to write the installation stick.

Same problem here.
dd'ed proxmox-ve_6.3-1.iso image to a SanDisk usb thumbdrive which never failed to install about a dozen systems with various Linuxes.
And I really don't get the error: it already successfully booted off the very same image which it then declares wrong!?

If "copy onto each usb drive model you can find until it works" is the approach, then at least mention it up front in the documentation. Used to other Linuxes, this kind of problems is rather a surprise. In 2021.

I have the error "no cdrom found". The ssd was connected to sata 3 and 4. By pure chance I connected the ssd to 3 and 1 and magicamnte the installation worked with no error.

Attempted to use Proxmox for the first time this morning an alternative to ESXi. I'm using proxmox-ve_6.4-1.iso and rufus-3.14p to make the bootable flash drive. Rufus has worked 100% of the time for me until now....

As rufus recommends (pop-up), I tried writing the flash drive in DD mode instead ISO mode since I was having problems with Proxmox. (It was endlessly looking for a CD-ROM for the installation files).

Writing the flash drive in DD mode solved the problem for me. I was able to install Proxmox. This might be worth a try for anyone else that's using rufus to make their Promox installation flash drive.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!