Email Notifications for events

mijohnst

Jan 21, 2017
I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to send email notifications for hosts or VM during actions such as migrations, reboots etc. I have email working but I seem to only get emails when a scheduled backup runs. Most of the information I'm finding is just how to setup postfix but not the actual content of what is sent. Thanks!

Reactions: magicfab
I'm looking for this too - in particular for things like diskspace, CPU, RAM thresholds and the like.

Is this kind of thing built in or do we have to roll our own? Most searches lead to SMART alerts and backup notifications only.

Yes. CheckMK is you answer. This is really the easiest way. No more Nagios!!!

Thank you for the tip. I had a look and although it seems nifty, it also seems like overkill - this is for a home lab so doesn't require monitoring per se, just notifications (email will do) if certain usages go above certain thresholds.

My question is mainly if Proxmox has anything built in for this, as I see lots of references to email (and can send email via CLI okay).

EDIT: Open Media Vault uses something called Monit which appears to provide the level I require. Does Proxmox have something like this integrated or will it have to be installed manually?

My question is mainly if Proxmox has anything built in for this, as I see lots of references to email (and can send email via CLI okay).
No, nothing build in.

EDIT: Open Media Vault uses something called Monit which appears to provide the level I require. Does Proxmox have something like this integrated or will it have to be installed manually?
Monit, is a separate monitoring tool, that can also be installed on Debian.

Okay thanks! Will go the Monit route.

Now for the clever bit ;), can I run Monit in a container, but to monitor the Proxmox host?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!