Data replication : which Nics to choose

Jord

Aug 14, 2017
Hi there,

Consider a 3 node setup with each node having 2x 10GB & 6x 1GB Nic.

Is it more interesting to speedup replication between the nodes using 10GB interconnects and have the VM's communicate on 1GB (scenario 1) or is it more interesting to speed up VM <—> desktop access (scenario 2)

My incline (but I can be wrong of course ;-) ) is that replication on 1GB (scenario 2), should be sufficient as it is always connected & buffered (? not sure ?) whereas access to VM will be more event-driven (spiky bandwidth usage) & give lower access-time on a 10GB link.

In scenario 2, the 10GB link would be shared by a reasonable big ERP system (DB is loaded quasi 100% in RAM VM, so disk access is not a restraint there) & by a file-server.

I would like to use a mesh-setup for the data replication, thus 2 Nics are required for the interconnect (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Full_Mesh_Network_for_Ceph_Server).

Switches for connection to network would be redundant too (stacked).

Thanks for your input on this guys & gals!

Jord

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!