Could you use proxmox with ceph for geo-failover ?

fxandrei

Renowned Member
Jan 10, 2013
Im trying to find a way to use proxmox with ceph as a multi site failover cloud setup of some sorts :).

So i have 2 proxmox clusters with ceph, in different locations.

They see each-other via site-to-site vpn, and have configured mirroring (journaling) with rbd on a pool (on all its images).

So everything works fine. The images mirror on the backup cluster, and i also sync the vm configs.

So i can promote an image as a master on the backup cluster, setup its config (copy the config file on a node on the backup proxmox cluster), and start the vm.

Now, is there a way i could improve this kind of setup ?

Is there a way to use proxmox and ceph and have this be done a different way (a better, more automatic way)?

Ideally i would have everything on the master cluster mirror on the backup cluster, and if something goes wrong on the main cluster, the backup cluster would take over and autostart every vm that was on the main cluster.

Is there any way to achive this with proxmox and ceph ? Could RGW and Ceph MultiSite configs could be used ?

Has anyone attempted something like this with proxmox ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!