Converting LXC to template: "Template feature is not available"

madduck

Jul 14, 2024
Hello,

I am fairly new to Proxmox. I've searched Reddit and this forum, and I hope I am not asking an FAQ that's already been answered. I couldn't find anything on the Web. Please bear with me.

I have set up Proxmox on a NAS. Due to it only having 8Gb of memory, I chose to go with LVM+ext4 and not ZFS. Now I'd like to convert an LXC container to a template, but it's not letting me, saying:

Code:
TASK ERROR: Template feature is not available for 'julia-hdd:vm-103-disk-0'

Is the template feature somehow restricted to ZFS? Is there a way to enable it with LVM? I don't see why not, as LVM does thin snapshots as well.

Or am I doing something wrong otherwise?

Thanks for any hints!

Best,
martin

Is the template feature somehow restricted to ZFS? Is there a way to enable it with LVM? I don't see why not, as LVM does thin snapshots as well.
Do you you talk abou LVM, or LVM-thin. LVM-thin should have all features (LVM has not).

Do you you talk abou LVM, or LVM-thin. LVM-thin should have all features (LVM has not).
Hm, shows what I know. Yeah, I was using plain LVM of course, as I had converted this host from libvirt to pve. I'll look into conversion to a thin pool! Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!