containers unreachable until traffic is issued outbound

alexskysilk

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2015
Chatsworth, CA
www.skysilk.com
I have an intermittent problem with containers. On boot, their network is unreachable until I manually lxc-attach them and ping out. This only happens to SOME containers but there doesnt seem to be any common denominator.

How are routes propagated when a container is powered on? how can I mitigate this issue?

if you cannot ping the container, test from your outside machine located in the same LAN if the container is answering arp whohas requests

tcpdump -nnn -i vmbr0 -e arp src ip_of_the_container_you_try to join

you should see something like

10:08:25.423797 c2:cd:8b:f6:ab:cd > 0c:c4:7a:31:xx:xx, ethertype ARP (0x0806), length 60: Reply ip_of_the_container_you_try to join is-at c2:cd:8b:f6:ab:cd, length 46

More info:

this seems to happen when we reassign the IP address to another container (eg, different mac address). the moment I issue a tcpdump ON the hypervisor to the affected bridge, the IP responds correctly and the interface begins functioning- but ONLY after touching it from inside the hypervisor.

Are there bridge specific actions that can/should be performed in order for the arp table to refresh correctly upon ip/mac change?

doing it on the container is kind of a pain because we have a large number of containers. What do you think about a systemd watcher that responds to containers spinning up? eg, I could watch for the presence of new devices in /sys/devices/virtual/net, pull the IP by grepping the IP from lxc-info and issuing an arping. am I missing something or (preferrably) do you have a more efficient method?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!