Connect to Proxmox through my Switch

Underworld667

May 8, 2022
100% Grade A Certified, Grass Fed Noob here, so please bear with me.

Background
I got a server, installed Proxmox, can access Proxmox with Nic #1on https://10.0.0.163:8006/ when I connect it direct to my PC.
I then installed pfsense and assigned Wan on Nic#2 and Lan on Nic#3. Seems to work good.
pfsense Gateway is 192.168.1.1 and has DHCP server turned on.
I then outputted Nic#3 (Lan) to my "Layer 3" Switch.

My Pc is connected to the switch and I can all devices on the switch are receiving 192.168.1.0/24 IPs from the DHCP server.

So I know if I connect my PC directly to Nic#1 I'll be able to get to Proxmox.
However going through the switch I can't access it (I'll have to double check the IP is still the same and hasn't shifted somehow)

What do I do to my network to let me be able to access Proxmox through my switch?

I see the IP address is a different private network type (10.0.0.163) vs 192.168.1.xxx.
I assume as its a different subnet you cant just talk to it?

Can different IP ranges exist under a single switch or is that bad juju?

Thanks!

No you can have different IP ranges but by default they're isolated from each other. To link them you need a routing device (e.g a layer 3 switch)

if you create a VLAN on your switch (say VLAN 10), assign an IP like 10.0.0.1/24 to it, make a port on your switch untagged on VLAN 10, and connect Nic#1 to that port you should be able to access Proxmox from your PC

Please post your network config: cat /etc/network/interfaces
I guess you could add a IP like 192.168.1.2/24 and a gateway/DNS 192.168.1.1 to your bridge that is connected to NIC3 so PVE is using the LAN side of your pfsense too. Then your other hosts are part of the same subnet and you should be able to connect to the webUI.

Sure good idea - here is the content of my network interfaces.
I think the 10.0.0.1 gateway was before I set up my pfsense gateway that now resides on 192.168.1.1.

To paraphrase what you wrote Dunuin, update /etc/network/interfaces to have address: 192.168.1.2/24 and gateway 192.168.1.1.
Also update /etc/hosts to change the 10.0.0.163 value to 192.168.1.2.
I assume I'd have to tell pfsense to not hand out 192.168.1.2 as it would be a reserved IP.

I just changed those things, made it reserved in pfsense and I can connect fine and dandy!

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• interfaces.JPG
    interfaces.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 15
  • etc_hosts.JPG
    etc_hosts.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!