Confused on volumes for LXC Snapshots and backups

keltorx

Aug 31, 2024
Hello!

I'm a total and complete newb on Proxmox, heck, using this has made me realized even the things I thought I knew, well, I don't. At all. I've created a Proxmox VE that lives atop Debian 12 on an Intel NUC for hosting a few LXCs for a Home Server using mostly ttecks's scripts, (for now, all of them).

I'm not sure where I went wrong or what I have misconfigured, I would like to be able to take snapshots of my LXCs and VMs but I run into the message.
The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshots
I've read the Proxmox Storage section of the doc and from what I understand, this message pops up due to my node only using local storage to store, well everything in a dir type volume.

1725116187935.png
Now. I really don't understand how to fix this, and my plan is that in the next month or two migrate data to a Synology NAS for media storage as well as backups of my Proxmox VE and its containers/VMs.

Any help, recommendations to have my Home Server ready for this upgrade, as well as protecting my LXCs with frequent snapshots with me being potentially an idiot and updating things that can break other things, would be great. I haven't had the courage to updating anything for months because I'm too scared to lose data or corrupt a VM because of this and I want to correct this as soon as possible.

Thanks all.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

In your situation, the 3 options I would personally consider would be:
1. Once you have the backups made, re-install with the direct proxmox installer to get an lvm-thin volume for your vm's/containers with snapshot capability, then restore the backups.
2. Change your current disk-layout to contain an lvm-thin volume and migrate the vm's/containers over to there [1]
3. Set up your NAS with iscsi, and set up zfs over iscsi
They will all have their pro's and con's, so weigh / investigate the options, but I'd suggest to wait till you have that backup at least (and tested them)

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/create-lvm-partition-on-proxmox-installed-on-debian.129676/

Hi @sw-omit!

These sound like very good recommendations. I'll have a few days off in the next 2 weeks to make all my backups and I'll try to replicate my VMs alongside my current ones to ensure they're properly backed up before proceeding.

I like my current setup of Proxmox on Ubuntu, instead of allocating my entire disk storage for Proxmox on a clean install. I can remake the Proxmox VE with the thread you sent which is an absolute godsend! Thanks for that!

Will report back when I proceed with this and hopefully leave enough crumbs for someone in the future that runs into my scenario.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!