Configuration of Proxmox for OpenWRT behind OPNsense

sodaws

Apr 2, 2021
Hey everyone,
I need some help with a kinda exotic idea I had. I want a OPNsense VM that does all the things that my current consumer router does (routing, firewall, dhcp, etc.) and a OpenWRT Container that just does CAKE QoS for me. I made a diagram that explains it a little bit better.
What I'd like to have:
Untitled Diagram(1)(1).png

And this is my Proxmox Host's network configuration:

Screenshot 2021-04-05 003818.png

The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to do the whole interface/bridge configuration in Proxmox and OpenWRT/OPNsense, since I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to networking and proxmox. Right now, enp3s0 is connected to my current router and vmbr0 was added to my OPNsense/OpenWRT instances, so I can configure and access them via webGUI. I don't know, whether I have to assign IP adresses to the bridges or to the network devices of the Containers/VMs. vmbr0 was automatically configured during the proxmox installation.

Is the approach from the diagram the right one? How should I configure and assign the bridges/network devices in Proxmox? I'm not sure if I understand what a bridge actually is. What is the difference between assigning IP adresses to bridges and assigning ip adresses to network devices of VMs/Containers?

Hi,

I don't know, whether I have to assign IP adresses to the bridges or to the network devices of the Containers/VMs. vmbr0 was automatically configured during the proxmox installation.

vmbr0 - is recomended to be used only for Proxmxox administration via web/broswer, if you want to also use for your virtual NICs of yours CT/VM, then, abtter way will be to use separate vlans(for admin, and for VM/CT)

I'm not sure if I understand what a bridge actually is

Think that any BRIDGE is like a switch, and any physical interface that is part of this bridge is like a switch port.

What is the difference between assigning IP adresses to bridges and assigning ip adresses to network devices of VMs/Containers?

In most of the cases, you will do not want to have a IP on a bridge, but you will need to have IP addr on any vNIC from yours VM/CT. From security point of view, it not wise to have a an IP on a bridge where you also have some IPs of yours CT/VM because if one of them is compromise, then is possible to connect then to the IP bridge => can develop the attack on the Proxmox admin https => very bad !

Good luck / Bafta !

... and you have some errors in your concept design!

- vmbr1 does not have any phisical NIC port/slave(like a switch without any phisical port), so no traffic could be done from OPNsense -> WAN
- also, do you have a limited RAM size(8 GB), so I do not thik that you can run so much VM/CTs + Openwrt + OPNsense

Anothers ideas:
- doing QoS on a ISP link who do not offer guaranted bandwithd, is a like a gamble to lottery, much better will be to make some kind of traffic prioritisation(DSCP/ToS)
- if I will need to solve your problem, I will buy a cheap but powerfull hardware router(like Mikrotik HEX S) - who will do most of the task that you need to do with OPNsense+Openwrt(routing, firewall, dhcp, QoS, and even more) - your setup will be more simple, and the network performance will be much better(speed, latency, and so on)

Good luck / Bafta !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!