Cluster update (kernel no longer match)

James Richmond

Oct 27, 2018
HI all,

I am hoping you can help me with an issue I am having. First... sorry if this is posted elsewhere. I tried to do my research. I did updates to my 3 node cluster the other day and now the Monitor version are not the same and the kernel is not the same on just one of the server (all 3 server are the same type/brand/configuration).

When I tell the server that is not up-to-date to check for updates it claims I am up-to-date. I am not sure where to go from here. So far it is all still working fine but I would like to get it resolved anyway. Here are some screenshots of what I am seeing.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    424.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.png
    5.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.png
    4.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.png
    3.png
    461 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.png
    2.png
    460.4 KB · Views: 4
The one with the older kernel also has a slightly older pve-m,anager version installed.

Did you run a "Refresh" on all nodes before installing updates?
If yes then check your /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list files if you have the same repositories configured on all nodes.

The one with the older kernel also has a slightly older pve-m,anager version installed.

Did you run a "Refresh" on all nodes before installing updates?
If yes then check your /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list files if you have the same repositories configured on all nodes.

No, I did not run a "Refresh" on all nodes before the update. To be honest I am not sure even how to do that (what the command is to do a refresh).

Yes all sources.list and sources.list.d are the same on all 3 servers.

If you install updates via the GUI hit the "Refresh" button which is next to the "Upgrade" button before upgrading.

If you do it via the CLI run apt update before you run apt dist-upgrade.

This will actively check the repositories for the latest packages available.

It's possible that the one node wasn't aware of the latest packages at the time you installed updates.

If you install updates via the GUI hit the "Refresh" button which is next to the "Upgrade" button before upgrading.

It's possible that the one node wasn't aware of the latest packages at the time you installed updates.

Ok, then yes I did do the refresh before doing the updates and I also tried the CLI way as well running apt update & apt dist-upgrade. At that moment there was nothing to update (mind you this was yesterday). I just tried it again and there are updates to do on that server. So you might be right as that server just did not see the updates at that moment. I am doing the update now and will respond once done with an update.

Ok, my kernel version is now the same across the board but the "monitor" did not update to the latest. Still says it is 14.2.5 and the rest (other 2) are 14.2.8.

Thanks again for your help with this

It makes me wonder if the refresh is really working. I mean if there are updates out there to do why is it not picking it up. Any thoughts on that?

It makes me wonder if the refresh is really working. I mean if there are updates out there to do why is it not picking it up. Any thoughts on that?
Besides not having the repositories set up the same way? I wouldn't know why. If you run the Refresh / apt update in close succession on all nodes, they usually should show the same packages that can be updated. :/

You could compare the output of a Refresh / apt update between the nodes to make sure they hit the same repositories.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!