Cluster and HA over WAN

ayozeve

Oct 16, 2020
Hello, I have been reading for a long time about the feasibility of being able to install a cluster of 3 servers in different locations linked together by VPN. And I suppose that it is highly inadvisable to establish a cluster connection with a latency of 60-70 ms. Does anyone have a similar setup in production? We want to add the nodes with zfs and replicated with zsync

This whole plan was because we intend to have a redundant system in which if a machine goes down, another one from the cluster of another office (all connected by VPN) gets up.

We have performed this procedure locally but never over the WAN. Ultimately, is it feasible? Thank you.

Regards

Since Corosync needs latencies of under 2ms to establish a reliable cluster, creating a cluster with 60-70ms is at best unstable. You can read more about the network requirements needed to establish a cluster in the manual [1].

[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#pvecm_cluster_network_requirements
Thank you very much I was reading the link you gave me and that's what I was afraid of. A practical and somewhat alternative I guess could be to use zsync but without being inside the cluster and thus allows us to pick up the machine in case the main one goes down. If someone had such an approach it would help me a lot because in the end I'm sure they've had the same concerns. First of all thank you very much for the help.

Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!