Clone VMs in Proxmox Cluster from templates

apanescu

Jun 30, 2020
Hello,

I have a cluster of 9 nodes in Proxmox. And I want to clone VMs on one of the nodes with a template from another node, but I get an error which says that the Proxmox Node is not allowed for this action. I also attached a screenshot with the error.

Does someone have any clue about this problem? Do I need to upgrade/install some packages to have this option available?

Thanks!
Andre

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 141
For a linked clone to work across nodes, the template's disks have to be stored on a shared storage (e.g. Ceph).

For a linked clone to work across nodes, the template's disks have to be stored on a shared storage (e.g. Ceph).
I'm having this same issue except I'm doing a full clone. Both nodes have the same drive config and are both ZFS so there shouldn't be any issues. See attached photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-20 111342.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-20 111342.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 87
The drives need to be on shared storage for a full clone too. Cloning the disk over the network is currently not implemented, but you are free to open a feature request on our bugtracker. Note that you can always just migrate the template beforehand and then clone locally.

"For a linked clone to work across nodes, the template's disks have to be stored on a shared storage "

No worries, I'll do a full clone!

"Oh that won't work either"

Why is everything simple so painful in Proxmox? Cloning is effectively the same as migrating except you don't delete the running VM. It's effectively nothing more than a cp command. Ugggh.

Reactions: NessageHostsINC
Why is everything simple so painful in Proxmox?
Templates and cloning works perfectly for me. Do basic checks in your Proxmox VE node/cluster to find the cause of your problems.

If something does not work, you will see clear error messages and log files.

I'm groaning about the fact that "Cloning the disk over the network is currently not implemented".

Instead I just tried to migrate a server, but it seems like Proxmox migrate totally ignores thin volumes, and doesn't use compression. So the migrate feature is currently shifting 28GB worth of 000000's. slow clap.:)

if you have a cluster, just use a shared storage or Ceph. Migration of local disk over a network is always a pain by definition.

I had the same problem and it helped me:

in the storage settings, select nodes instead of all

note that storage is not called local-lvm, there will be an error:
can't clone VM to node 'node01' (VM uses local storage) (500)

Attachments

• pve-storage.png
    pve-storage.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Reactions: agelosnm
As none of the above worked for me, I finally found that it was necessary to remove the local storage's ISO disk that was inserted to make clone working.

So a message like "remove any media from CD/DVD drive before cloning" would be a good clue instead of the cryptic "not allowed for this action".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!