CIFS: storage is not online (500)

Jun 29, 2018
Hi,
I have a proxmox 5.2-3 recently installed and I want to add a new cifs storage but always get the same error:
"create storage failed: error with cfs lock 'file-storage_cfg': storage 'SambaQuique' is not online"

I had tried from Webgui, from cli and same error, but I can mount that share by mount.cifs without any problems:

-----------------------------------------------------
root@dvall-prox01:/media# mount.cifs //XXX.XX.XX.XX/Todos samba/ -o username=enrique.garcia
Password for enrique.garcia@//XXX.XX.XX.XX/Todos: ********
root@dvall-prox01:/media# ls -l samba
total 0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jun 29 11:35 file1.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jun 29 11:35 file2.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jun 29 11:35 file3.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jun 29 11:34 old
root@dvall-prox01:/media#

root@dvall-prox01:/media# mount|grep Todos
//XXX.XX.XX.XX/Todos on /media/samba type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=default,cache=strict,username=enrique.garcia,domain=,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=XXX.XX.XX.XX,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

--------------------------------

But if I try to use pvesm cifsscan the result is empty:

root@dvall-prox01:/media# pvesm cifsscan XXX.XX.XX.XX --username enrique.garcia --password
Enter Password: ********
root@dvall-prox01:/media# echo $?

And If I try to add the share:

root@dvall-prox01:/media# pvesm add cifs SambaQuique --server XXX.XX.XX.XX --share Todos --username enrique.garcia --password
create storage failed: error with cfs lock 'file-storage_cfg': storage 'SambaQuique' is not online

Any idea?

Thanks

root@dvall-prox01:/media# pvesm cifsscan XXX.XX.XX.XX --username enrique.garcia --password
you should get a list of available shares here, no output suggests that the user does not have access to any

you should get a list of available shares here, no output suggests that the user does not have access to any
But mount.cifs works great with same IP address, username and password.
Could it be a smb version problem? is there any log file or verbose mode?
When I mount that share by mount.cifs, in messeges appear:

"Jun 29 12:00:12 dvall-prox01 kernel: [ 3840.034085] No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers=1.0 on mount."

And it works, but pvesm doesn't work

Hi,

What storage type your SMB Server is?

What output you get from this command?
Code:
/usr/bin/smbclient //<1.2.3.4>/<share> -d 0 -m smb3 -U <username> -P -c 'echo 1 0'

Im traying with an win10 shared folder (Todos), and with a Windows 2012R2 folder shared too

root@dvall-prox01:/media# /usr/bin/smbclient //XXX.XX.XX.XX/Todos -d 0 -m smb3 -U enrique.garcia -P -c 'echo 1 0'
ERROR: Unable to fetch machine password for DVALL-PROX01$@ in domain WORKGROUP

root@dvall-prox01:/media# /usr/bin/smbclient //XXX.XX.XX.XX/Todos -d 0 -m smb2 -U enrique.garcia -P -c 'echo 1 0'
ERROR: Unable to fetch machine password for DVALL-PROX01$@ in domain WORKGROUP

I have trayed with domain name:

root@dvall-prox01:/media# /usr/bin/smbclient //XXX.XX.XX.XX/Todos -d 0 -m smb3 -U enrique.garcia -P -c 'echo 1 0' -W XXXXXX
ERROR: Unable to fetch machine password for DVALL-PROX01$@ in domain XXXXXX

This is the command out, it works with domain (-W option):

root@dvall-prox01:~# /usr/bin/smbclient //XXX.XX.XX.XX/Todos -d 0 -m smb3 -U enrique.garcia -c 'echo 1 0' -W XXXXXX
Enter enrique.garcia's password:
Domain=[XXXXXX] OS=[] Server=[]

root@dvall-prox01:~# echo $?

If you have a domain then you must use this in the pvesm call.
root@dvall-prox01:/media# pvesm add cifs SambaQuique --server XXX.XX.XX.XX --share Todos --username enrique.garcia --password
You did not use the "-domain <Domain>" parameter.

Reactions: ob1
If you have a domain then you must use this in the pvesm call.

You did not use the "-domain <Domain>" parameter.

Good morning,

I have tried with doamin parameter and pvesm cifsscan works, but same error when I try to add the storage:

root@dvall-prox01:/media# pvesm cifsscan XXX.XX.XX.XX --username enrique.garcia --password --domain XXXXXX
print$ Controladores
Compartir
E$ Recurso
C$ Recurso
ADMIN$ Admin
Users
Todos
root@dvall-prox01:/media# pvesm add cifs SambaQuique --server XXX.XX.XX.XX --share Todos --username enrique.garcia --password --domain XXXXXX
create storage failed: error with cfs lock 'file-storage_cfg': storage 'SambaQuique' is not online

----------------------

In the web gui same error with domain:
"create storage failed: error with cfs lock 'file-storage_cfg': storage 'SambaQuique' is not online (500)"

Hi, Any idea?
I continue with this error, It happens with shares form Windows 10, 2012R2, cifsscan works but add storage doesn't work

I colud add a cif storage from an Ubuntu samba share

Thanks for the report

No, I have not Commercial Support Subscription We are try it for pre-producction enviroment, It is possible to buy it for a producction enviroment in a near future.

Thanks

Yes, you can upgrade from no-subscription to subscription without problems.
You only must change the repositories and insert the key.

It is working now, I don't know why but I have updated Proxmox a few days ago and now is working fine.
I'm now with:
proxmox-ve: 5.2-2 (running kernel: 4.15.18-3-pve)
pve-manager: 5.2-8 (running version: 5.2-8/fdf39912)
pve-cluster: 5.0-30
pve-container: 2.0-26
pve-docs: 5.2-8
pve-firewall: 3.0-14
pve-firmware: 2.0-5
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-5
pve-i18n: 1.0-6
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.11.2-1
pve-xtermjs: 1.0-5
qemu-server: 5.0-33

I had the same problem, turns out that I was using the --share argument with the full path like //server/share instead of just the share name as output by pvesm cifsscan. Switching to only using the share name allowed me to add the CIFS storage. I spent a while looking for this answer, just adding in hopes of helping someone else!

Reactions: Denschen
Hello guys, I spent a lot of time to find a fix for this error.
For me the solution was to increase the timeout value from 10 to 40 in "check_connection" section from CIFSPlugin.pm file (path: „/usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/)

Proxmox VE version 6.3-6

pve.6.3.3.check_connection.png

Code:
root@homelab:/mnt# /usr/bin/smbclient //10.0.0.1/pve -d 0 -m smb3 -U peter -c 'echo 1 0'
Enter WORKGROUP\peter's password:
echo failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

Code:
root@homelab:/mnt# pvesm add cifs mac -server 10.0.0.1 -share pve -smbversion 3.0  -username peter -password <hide>
create storage failed: storage 'mac' is not online
root@homelab:/mnt#

I got this error.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesalius

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!