Ceph bluestore lz4 compression

alexskysilk

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2015
Chatsworth, CA
www.skysilk.com
Bluestore is pretty awesome and supports inline compression, which would be great for reducing size and increasing performance. Unfortunately, the lz4 compression module is not included in the official release.

devs- can you remedy this please :)

since it seems like it's only disabled by default upstream because Ubuntu Trusty's lz4 version is too old, I think we can enable this on our next build (it is opt-in anyway).

forgot to ping this thread - the current 12.2.2 packages are built with LZ4 support.

Fine, how I can safely enable compression on existing production pool?
xcdr, do you know if qemu-kvm provide the COMPRESSIBLE / INCOMPRESSIBLE hint to the ceph backend?
E.g. will the compression_mode passive result in any compression or do I have to use aggressive mode for that?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!