Can't create VM on Proxmox 6.1!

albert_a

Mar 22, 2018
Hello,

I can't create VM from a template neither in the cluster with subscription, nor in cluster without it...
I get the same error:

Code:
# qm clone 105 135
Use of uninitialized value $nodename in hash element at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Cluster.pm line 724.
Use of uninitialized value $nodename in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Cluster.pm line 728.
no such cluster node ''

please help

Best regards,
Albert

Reactions: rnmkr
@albert_a I just created cluster of 2 nodes. It was single node proxmox, then added second node today.
After cluster creation I cannot create new VM. I updated to both servers to proxmox 6.1-7.

Code:
# qm clone 8000 116 --nam test --full true
Use of uninitialized value $nodename in hash element at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Cluster.pm line 724.
Use of uninitialized value $nodename in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Cluster.pm line 728.
no such cluster node ''

I tried to change my server's hostname from node1.mydomain.example to just node1. But it didn't help. :(

@rnmkr I think it has nothing to do with the hostname. It might be a bug, because it was working for sure (100%) under Proxmox 6.0 and it stopped working right after the upgrade to Proxmox 6.1. Sadly, I have upgraded all my clusters, without checking VM creation after the first upgrade.

I can confirm that cloning via GUI works, but it's not the way we do it.

Last edited:
@albert_a Yea, I think so. I thought when I create cluster I messed it up. Looks like I didn't, fortunately :D

I have upgraded all my clusters

When running cluster, don't you have to upgrade all servers to same version? In requirements docs it says If you are interested in High Availability, you need to have at least three nodes for reliable quorum. All nodes should have the same version. Or is it fine to run on different versions?

I used this repository to update my server.

Bash:
# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com,

# NOT recommended for production use

deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription

This was my first time to update proxmox version. It says NOT recommended for production use, then how are we supposed to update proxmox? Is this correct method tho?

When running cluster, don't you have to upgrade all servers to same version? In requirements docs it says If you are interested in High Availability, you need to have at least three nodes for reliable quorum. All nodes should have the same version. Or is it fine to run on different versions?
I actually never tried to run different versions, I usually upgrade all the nodes and reboot them. But I guess it is required, or at list desired since it is stated in the docs.

This was my first time to update proxmox version. It says NOT recommended for production use, then how are we supposed to update proxmox? Is this correct method tho?
It is recommended to use paid version of Proxmox for critical services. 'Paid' exactly means, that can upgrade from stable (enterprise) repository.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/question-proxmox-paid-free-features.17945/
I use paid for critical applications and free for non-critical ones.

@fabian Thanks for the info! Adding '--target' parameter to our creation script fixed it.

In case somebody need to fix it quickly, this command works:
Code:
# qm clone 105 135 --target $HOSTNAME

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!