Cannot reach GUI and Shrink Volume

eduardinho21

Aug 18, 2022
Hello.

I have 2 issues:

1 - cannot reach de Gui page. but can ping the proxmox ve server, and the VM's. I've restarted it already. (a fews days ago I've working well with GUI page).
2 - No free Space on pve-root.
(i think the problems are both engaged).

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 32G 0 32G 0% /dev
tmpfs 6.3G 58M 6.3G 1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root 94G 94G 0 100% /
tmpfs 32G 8.1M 32G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
/dev/sda2 511M 328K 511M 1% /boot/efi
tmpfs 6.3G 0 6.3G 0% /run/user/0

I need help to solve it. I think the solution is to shrink the LVM volume to expand pve-root, but i dont know how to do this.

My physical HDD's:
4 x 4 TB RAID 10 by HPE RAID CONTROLLER (no ZFS configured on proxmox).

A full root partition is usually the result of a misdirected backup. You could try to see if you can delete some backups in /var/lib/vz/dump/.

but first, i cannot reach the gui page of proxmox ve.
Yes, this is a known phenomenon when the pmxcfs (Cluster filesystem - effect also applies on standalone nodes though) is not writable. When you try to log in, the PVE tries to acquire a lock, but it can't because it can't write the file.

Your best bet would be to log in to your node via SSH (or perhaps via mouse and keyboard if you have physical access) and remove the files hogging all your disk space. This could be what @B.Otto pointed out, but if you don't exactly know what it is, try a CLI tool like ncdu.

Last edited:
Reactions: sterzy
Hello everyone.

Update:
I've deleted some backups, but cannow reach the Gui Page :(

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev devtmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 6.3G 282M 6.1G 5% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root ext4 94G 24G 67G 26% /
tmpfs tmpfs 32G 8.1M 32G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
/dev/sda2 vfat 511M 328K 511M 1% /boot/efi
tmpfs tmpfs 6.3G 0 6.3G 0% /run/user/0

Update:
Now i can reach GUI interface :)

But i need some help to manage the volumes.
The "local-lvm" have so much free space, and i dont need it here.
I want to give some space to my local volume where is my Backups, ISOS, etc.

I tried to create a folder to my backups. but the it uses the partition where the proxmox is installed (100Gb)

1662464575005.png

1662463328775.png

1662463198205.png

1662463405589.png

Last edited:
You should be able to create a new Storage if you click 'Datacenter' on the left side then Storage in the Datacenter overview. There you can create a new Storage with your pve-data logical volume. It's probably preferable to pick LVM-Thin as type for this.

Then you should be able to backup to the pve-data pool.

Last edited:
Você criará um novo armazenamento clicando em 'Datacenter' no lado esquerdo e depois poderá armazenar na visão geral do Datacenter. Lá você pode criar um novo Storage com seu volume lógico pve-data. Provavelmente é preferível escolher LVM-Thin como tipo para isso.

Em seguida, você poderá fazer backup no pool pve-data.
I understand, but I don't think this solves my problem. Because I create a new storage (LVM-thin) called "Backups", but only the disk image and container are available.

1662481678931.png

Last edited:
I understand, but I don't think this solves my problem.
Shrinking an LVM-thin (pve-data) is not possible. You would have to migrate all your disks somewhere else. Delete pve-data, extend your root partition (and filesystem) and the recreate the LVM-thin again with reduced size.

This would be rather tedious and could leave your system damaged. If you simply need a way to store backups locally, you could create a new Volume on your LVM-thin and mount in somewhere on your root partition under /mnt.
Then you can set up a simple directory storage with Content VZDump backup file via the GUI, and store your backups there.

Last edited:
I understand, but I don't think this solves my problem. Because I create a new storage (LVM-thin) called "Backups", but only the disk image and container are available.

View attachment 40800
Backups can only be done in file-based storage, not in block-based storage local-lvm is a LVM-thin blockstorage.

Thats why datschlatscher suggested that you create another volume on your LVM-thin, format it with a filesystem (like ext4), mount it locally and add that storage to the PVE host.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!