Build advice to host TrueNAS Core and Plex

s1x

Sep 1, 2022
My build started off a as an Unraid server but I'm now reconsidering going back to an earlier idea of running Promox as my hyper visor. Right now I have the CPU/MOBO/RAM and 4x NVME drives. In the coming weeks I plan on purchasing the HBA controller along with 8-12 SAS drives.

I'm looking for advice on how to set this us. Originally under Unraid I was going to have a RAID 10 nvme pool for my appdata, VMs and docker images. Then hosting just the metadata and movies on the main HDD array.

I was going to run Unraid on a USB thumb drive, now with considering Proxmox I will look at purchasing two Samsung PM893 480GB SSDs and setting them up in raid 1.

Should I stick to this idea for TrueNAS? What should I use my 4 nvme drives for? What type of raid setup would best benefit my system?

HW I currently have:

EPYC 7302p
TYAN S8030 (S8030GM4NE-2T)
256GB ECC
ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Card
4x SABRENT 2TB Rocket NVMe 2TB

You could use the NVMe SSDs as VM storage (ZFS might cause massive SSD wear but as far as I see those SSDs warranty isn't limited by TBW or DWPD...so you could just RMA them when they fail) and then PCI passthrough the HBA into an Unraid or TrueNAS VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!