Backup and restore VM with 3 disks

jolle

Feb 4, 2020
Hello! I have a proxmox cluster with 2 nodes. I the First node I have a VM that has 3 disks. Every virtual disk is on the different physical disks. I want to back it up and then restore it to the other node. The problem is that I do not know what the system will do with the disks.
Do I need the same disks to the other node?
Or all the disks will be restored at the same disks?
The VM is on LVM but I can make it and ZFS too if it is better.

Thanks for your time!

If you just want to move it to the other node, you can simply migrate it. With both approaches you can choose the storage to which the vm will be restored when you do the actual restore.

You should definitly take a look at the storage section of our admin guide to get a better picture of what a "storage" is.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_storage

Reactions: jolle
Thank you for your reply @tim
I still can not find the answer to my question. What is happening in the disks that are attached to the VM when the migration is happening.
Do I need separate disks or all will be stored in the same?

When you migrate a VM (online) from one node to another, you are asked to choose a target storage. Let's say your backing storage is lvm-thin and on the other node you only have zfs, all of your disks will be migrated to the zfs target storage. It's currently not possible to split let's say 2 disk to storage X and one disk to storage Y. If you restore a VM from backup to a new host, you will need to choose a storage as well, all of your disks will be restored to that storage.

Reactions: jolle

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!