After unplanned reboot locked VMs don't start

gkovacs

Renowned Member
Dec 22, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
Occasionally we experience unplanned, spontaneous reboots on our Proxmox nodes installed on ZFS. The problem we are having is related to vzdump backups: if a reboot happens during an active vzdump backup that locks a VM, after reboot the locked guest will not start, and needs to be manually unlocked and started. Needless to say this causes considerable (and unnecessary) downtime.

So my questions are:
1. Does the locked status of VMs need to persist across reboots? Couldn't Proxmox just unlock all VMs on boot?

2. Anyone got an idea how to automatically unlock all VMs on boot?

Last edited:
why you don't just be happy that anyone replies to you?

vzdump needs to lock the vm, don't look for something to blame proxmox for, look for the issue why your server reboots

why you don't just be happy that anyone replies to you?

vzdump needs to lock the vm, don't look for something to blame proxmox for, look for the issue why your server reboots

Why would I be happy that you spam my thread with off-topic nonsense? Why do you keep posting instead of reading the original question? How can you be so ignorant to tell me what to do after hijacking my thread?

- no one asked your advice about how to prevent reboots
- no one was blaming Proxmox
- no one disputes the need to lock a VM

My question was: does the lock need to persist across reboots? If not, why doesn't Proxmox unlock all VMs on every boot?
Reboots can happen for many reasons, yet nobody was talking about how to prevent them, this thread is about something else.

Now please **** off.

Last edited:
Why would I be happy that you spam my thread with off-topic nonsense? Why do you keep posting instead of reading the original question? How can you be so ignorant to tell me what to do after hijacking my thread?

- no one asked your advice about how to prevent reboots
- no one was blaming Proxmox
- no one disputes the need to lock a VM

My question was: does the lock need to persist across reboots? If not, why doesn't Proxmox unlock all VMs on every boot?
Reboots can happen for many reasons, yet nobody was talking about how to prevent them, this thread is about something else.

Now please **** off.

gkovacs, please stop doing postings in this style, the answer from MasterTH was quite a good hint.

if you continue like this, no-one will be motivated to help you.

gkovacs, please stop doing postings in this style, the answer from MasterTH was quite a good hint.

if you continue like this, no-one will be motivated to help you.

@tom have you read my post? Where did I ask how to prevent a spontaneous reboot? (Also there would be no point, as there can be many reasons, from kernel errors to power outages to harware malfunction.)

I was asking is it necessary for VM backup locks to persist across reboots? If not, it would help us a lot...

MasterTH did not answer my question, but that's understandable as he did not bother to read the original post. But the fact that you also did not bother to read my post / answer my question / detect the obvious trolling (yet keep talking about my style) is absolutely shocking to me.

i assume ragequit ;)
stay calm gkovacs

in normal behaviour you will have to do this just when your server crashes. This should'nt happen that often. Thats the reason why i gave you the advise to check your ram. I was reading your post. but - working around something that happens all the time is maybe not the right choise.

If your router is failing every 8 hours - would you setup a timeclock to reset it every 7 hours?

i assume ragequit ;)
stay calm gkovacs

in normal behaviour you will have to do this just when your server crashes. This should'nt happen that often. Thats the reason why i gave you the advise to check your ram. I was reading your post. but - working around something that happens all the time is maybe not the right choise.

If your router is failing every 8 hours - would you setup a timeclock to reset it every 7 hours?

Okay so I can't ask you to read and comprehend my post, and I can't ask you to stay away. Then let's reiterate the facts in some logical order, which are still unclear to you:

- I did experience an unplanned reboot. Many others do, most of them use ZFS. It's likely a kernel issue, it seems there is no helping it currently.
- Nobody said it happens often. Actually, it happens rarely, like once in every month or two.
- It's not your business to decide if that is too often or not. It's my and my users' business.
- Also people experience reboots for many reasons: power, hardware fault, kernel issue. Some more often than others.
- All of us who experience reboots during backups have to deal with locked, not starting VMs, regardless of the reason and the rarity of these reboots.
- I did not ask in my post how to prevent reboots. Even the title was concise.
- I was asking if it is a necessary feature to keep VM locks (especially backup locks) persist across reboots, as Proxmox currently does.
- If it is necessary for some reason, then I can live with that. If it's not, then it needs to be changed for the sake of uptime.

- You did not answer my question, and when I pointed that out, you started telling me what to do instead, which is trolling.
- And even now you come back trolling here, not for one second talking about the topic of the original post.

Let me repeat: this thread was about the necessity of VM locks persisting across reboots.
But now it's about: have you trolled enough today?

Do you feel better now that @tom also did not understand the question and supported you in your trolling?
Do you think I can post a new thread with a valid question about a Proxmox feature, without you spamming it again?

Last edited:
in the bug report you linked, thomas has explained it rather well:

But an locked VM may be locked for a reason, there can be backup, snapshot and migrate locks,
and not all of them are always safe to remove automatically.

because of the nature of the locks, automatically removing them could be harmful, and it is better to not do it

in the bug report you linked, thomas has explained it rather well:

because of the nature of the locks, automatically removing them could be harmful, and it is better to not do it

Okay, I can imagine that snapshot or migrate locks are unsafe to be removed automatically. I can't imagine though that backup locks are needed after a reboot. If I'm right, it would be a great feature to remove stale backup locks when Proxmox boots.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!