Advise for raid ZFS data

fabienfs

Jun 6, 2021
Hello,

I would like some advice for my data raid.

I have a Proxmox with 4 SSD 2TB for data.
(64Go ram, Intel Xeon 3.7GHz 8 core)

On this data raid I would like to put
several Windows and Linux VMs.

The but is : fast raid and the security of being able to lose 1 disc

I started by doing a raidz with default blocksize (8) and ashift 12. but I am not satisfied because it takes double the space than what I have as data.

What do you recommend ? To increase the blocksize? If so, how much? 12? and for the ashift?

Or would it be better to do a different kind of raid? Dunuin advised me this on another thread : « A striped mirror would be better for workloads like a VM storage.

Thank you for your opinions,
Fabien

Last edited:
several things here.

#1 raidz-1 isnt optimal at all. its like a raid5 and with such big disks not that fault tollerant as you might think. theres a chance loosing a junk.
also 4disks are suboptimal for either. problem is not total capacity but high capacity over 1.5tb a drive.

in any case you also need to calculate your volblocksize based on #of ur disks
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...jHv6CGVElrPqTA0w_ZY/edit?pli=1#gid=1224630924
this shows us that with 4disks volblocksize doesnt matter and you will loose a lot

#2 i might suggest raid 10 here even tough you loose 50% capcity.
reasoning is that its just 20% less efficent than raidz1 (with wonky fault tollerance) and even less vs raidz2
however it brings a lot more I/O to the table which is always a needed thing in virtualisation

even more so if you use consumer grade ssds. here we really need that i/o bad. and for 20% less efficency at least one drive each mirror is always fault tollerant, rebuilds are much faster and i/o is much better. also no "suprises" in datause because of bad allignment and padding (you get what you see, while on a multidrive raidz its always just an estimate as data occupys more space than it should because of padding)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!