adding two existing hdd (raid1 from NAS) to proxmox zfs

ap20132022

Feb 11, 2023
hi everyone,
I'm new here.
I have proxmox installed on a fujitsu i5, 8Gb RAM, 257Gb SSD. And I have a zyxel NAS with two HDDs each of them has 3Tb (configured as RAID1).

I want to move my two HDDs to my fujitsu and configure them over ZFS.

Today I tried to copy (backup) all my data from my 3Tb HDD to my Laptop. After a while searching and trying I can connect one of my RAID HDD to my laptop and copy files to my laptop. I used mdadm and lvm2 to do it. Now my laptop recognize it as

3TB eexxtt44
RAID Member

Next step: I want to connect these two RAID1 HDD to my proxmox. How can I do it?

I think the easiest way is format the HDD and connect them as new HDD. But I have to copy all the backup files from my laptop to the hdd again. I don't know whether it possible to keep all the files on my HDD and just change it from RAID1 to ZFS. I think it's difficult (my "experience: it was not so easy for me to connect this Raid HDD to my laptop and backup files. But it's possible :D). And I know the risk. That why I have backed up all files to my laptop.

(my fujitsu mainboard doesn't support Hardware RAID)

Thank you very much for your advice and have a nice weekend.

Next step: I want to connect these two RAID1 HDD to my proxmox. How can I do it?
Most likely the zyxel nas is just a small embedded linux box. just attach the disks to your proxmox host, and then-

pvscan
vgscan
vgs (to obtain the VG name)
vgchange -ay [vg from above)

(you may not need to do any of the above if the vg activates automatically- this may happen if you attach both disks at once.)

then you can mount the resulting logical volume as you please in proxmox.

Last edited:
Reactions: ap20132022
Thank you very much for your answer. After reading your advices and information from internet I decided to apply:
- I wiped up one of my two 3Tb HDD Raid1 and put it to zfs pool als single disk
- I connected the second disk to my proxmox
(see screenshot: sdb is my 1.disk and sdc is my 2. disk)

Now I want to copy all the data from the second disk to the first one (which now als single disk on zfs pool).
Next steps: after copying all the data, I want to wipe up the second disk and use "zfs attach" to add the second disk to my zfs pool. I hope that the 2. disk will be resilverd with data from the 1. disk

Question:
- what do you think about this process?
- how can I copy the data from the second disk (which has Raid1 from NAS) to the first disk (now empty on zfs pool)? I want to connect the second disk directly to proxmox and use "mdadm and lvm2" to access to this disk. Is it possible?

Thanks again for your help and have a nice weekend.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-02-24 20-54-12.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-02-24 20-54-12.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!